Now accepting online applications for Police Officers
As an elite member of Olathe's finest, you have an opportunity to join an exciting, dynamic department in a metropolitan city where your law enforcement skills will help protect and serve nearly 126,000 citizens. Our career avenues are wide open. Opportunities to serve include uniformed patrol, detectives, K-9, traffic unit with motorcycles, and school resource officer. Not to mention our specialized units to include the field training officer unit, hostage negotiations team, gang unit, peer support team, honor guard, and the tactical support unit.
There are tremendous opportunities for career advancement. You can go as far as your ambition and skills take you. We will provide the training and opportunities. There has never been a better time to join Olathe's Finest.
The Olathe Police Department offers a lateral transfer program for current POST certified officers.
In most cases, the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center will accept a POST certification from another state. If accepted, you will directly enter OPD’s 13-week Field Training Program and can forego a Kansas Police Academy.
Experience & Education:
You must meet the Minimum Job Requirements to be considered for the position of Police Officer:
Reasons for Disqualification
- Must be a United States citizen;
- Be 21 years of age by 1/1/2015 ;
- Have a high school diploma or GED;
- Have the ability to distinguish sounds to include a full range of tones and volumes;
- Have 20/20 corrected vision in both eyes;
- You must have the ability to read, speak, and write the English language fluently;
- Possess a valid driver's license;
- Establish a residence within a 45 mile radius of the main Olathe Police Department. Any new officer will have 1 year from their employment date to comply with this policy.
- Successfully pass all phases of the police hiring process (Written test(s), physical agility test, personal history statement, oral board interview, polygraph examination, background investigation, Chief of Police Interview, physical and psychological examination);
- Meet any other state and federal requirements presently in existence;
Basic skills you will need to be a law enforcement officer:
- FALSE STATEMENT: False statement of material fact/deception/fraud, or intentional withholding of the same;
- FELONIES : No felony convictions ever and no commission of a felony in the past five years, subject to review;
- MISDEMEANORS: Conviction/Commission of a Class "A" misdemeanor within the past five years, subject to review. No conviction/commission of a Class "B" misdemeanor within the past two years to include a Failure to Appear traffic conviction, subject to review.
- DRIVING RECORD: Commission/Conviction of a DUI in the past five years. Three or more citations within the last twelve months. Three or more chargeable or at fault accidents within the past five years. Overall driving history which is deemed unacceptable.
- PROBATION/PAROLE : Currently on probation, parole or diversion (inclusive or deferred adjudication). Pardoned for any reason other than being innocent.
- NARCOTICS/CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE: Use of any illegal drug, other than marijuana, within the past five years or the sale of a controlled substance at any time.
- MARIJUANA: No use of marijuana in the last three years.
- MILITARY DISCHARGE/CONDUCT: Discharge that is less than honorable conditions.
- UNACCEPTABLE BACKGROUND: Work history, educational history, military service, general reputation, and interpersonal relationship.
- TATTOO POLICY: "No visible tattoos are allowed that cannot be completely covered by a short-sleeved uniform and/or appropriate business attire, if approved for your position. "Piercings are limited to two earrings per ear and "no gauged body parts."
- CITY WIDE NEPOTISM POLICY: Any applicant who has a member of their immediate family employed full-time or part-time by the City of Olathe is not eligible for employment.
- Am I able to communicate clearly and listen to others well? Can I write a report with correct spelling and correct English?
- Do I read and comprehend well to learn the laws and procedures of law enforcement in the academy?
- Do I have a good memory to recall what I've learned and what I've witnessed in incidents?
- Am I pretty good at following maps and finding my way around?
- Do I have excellent physical fitness?
- Do I have basic computer skills?
Lateral Police Officer Starting Salary
Tentative Hiring Process Dates:
- Physical Fitness Test & Written Test: 9/12/2014 & 9/13/2014
- Oral Board Interviews: Week of 9/29/2014
- Polygraph: 9/29/2014 - 10/24/2014
- Background Investigation: 10/20/2014 - 11/15/2014
- Chief's Interview: Week of 12/8/2014
- Start Date: 1/12/2015 (tentative)
- Lateral transfer police officers will be credited with up to 6 years of police officer experience. The pay rate will be established based on comparable wages with Olathe Police Officers. Starting pay rates up to $47,197.07. Hours: 4 - 10 hour days. shift varies.
Bilingual pay is one of the many benefits the Olathe Police Department offers.
Please review the Police Department's Employment Page for additional information about the police department hiring process. Or via email OPDRecruit@olatheks.org .