To preserve law and order, protect life and property and enforce laws and ordinances in a manner consistent with the mission and goals of the St. Louis Park Police Department. To create problem-solving relationships with the citizens of St. Louis Park using a thorough knowledge of the department's community-oriented policing philosophy. Works directly with citizens, staff and other City departments to assist in resolving problems/conflicts. Represents the City with a courteous, helpful and professional manner.
Qualified candidates will be invited to take a written exam in late March, 2013.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Applies the St. Louis Park Police Department's community-oriented policing philosophy and articulates and utilizes the SARA model effectively.
2. Pro-actively patrols an assigned geographic area. Maintains knowledge of assigned district and recognizes neighborhood characteristics which affect the incidence of crime and disorder. Regularly attends neighborhood meetings and consults with leaders in both business and residential communities.
3. Responds to all distress or emergency calls, administers first aid and investigates and reports traffic accidents as required.
4. Enforces City ordinances, and state and federal laws in a fair and uniform manner according to established department policies and procedures.
5. Makes arrests and searches as required. Safely transports prisoners as may be required in accordance with approved department policies. Presents testimony as required in court.
6. Investigates complaints concerning violations of various City ordinances and state and federal laws including interviewing/interrogating witnesses or suspects and collects and preserves evidence. Maintains order at accidents or crime scenes, and obtains signed statements when deemed necessary to support potential legal action in conjunction with department investigators.
7. Uses assigned equipment available through the department in a safe and responsible manner, i.e., firearms, automobiles, computers, radios, radar, etc. Disseminates and receives information through telecommunication duties including but not limited to computers, radios, phones, email, pagers and recorders.
8. Prepares clear and accurate reports in accordance with department policies.
9. Serves warrants, subpoenas or other court administration functions as required.
10. Recognizes opportunities and when appropriate, provides counsel, guidance and service to the public as a means of developing community understanding and cooperation (public relations).
11. Reports significant law enforcement information to Sergeant or assigned supervisor. May also report significant information to other City staff, officials, or responsible person(s) as needed based on the situation.
12. Demonstrates commitment to teamwork when working with other police department members and various City department personnel on problem solving efforts.
13. Assists the City's Inspection Department with inspection of liquor establishments, taxicabs, and other license inspections as required.
14. Participates and assists in training or extra activities beyond the normal functions.
15. Provides the department with technical assistance, as needed or assigned, in area of expertise.
16. Must be physically capable of performing the essential duties of the position.
17. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
18. Officers may be assigned to one or more special assignments or a combination of special assignments.
• Current POST license (or eligible for POST license by July 1, 2013).
• Minimum vision correctable to 20/20.
• Valid MN driver's license (or ability to obtain within 60 days of appointment).
• Eligible to carry firearm in Minnesota.
• Physically capable of performing essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Bachelor's degree in criminal justice or a related field.
• Previous experience with law enforcement in City with similar characteristics and size and service delivery/response.