This is regular or special detail police work in protecting life and property on the university campus. Work involves professional response to the need for the prevention and detection of crimes, and for generally maintaining law and order. Work also involves patrolling assigned area, traffic enforcement, accident reporting, and criminal investigations. Assignments are received from superior officers and are carried out under established policies and procedures. However, employee must exercise quick, independent, and sound judgment and display initiative in applying work methods to emergency situations which arise when superior officers are not immediately available. Work requires dedication to public service often made difficult by emotional or physical stress of events. Work is reviewed through conferences, written reports, inspections and observation of results obtained.
Southern Polytechnic State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is a residential university with over 6,200 students pursuing bachelors and masters degrees in many of the nation’s fastest growing technology fields. The university, located one mile west of 1-75’s Exit 263, is just 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta. Southern Polytechnic is an EOE / ADA /AA Employer.
1. Patrols the campus on foot or in a patrol car to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes, and to enforce traffic regulations; answers calls and complaints involving fire, traffic or other accidents, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies, and takes necessary police action; makes arrests.
2. Conducts investigations of criminal activities, consisting of collection and identification of evidence, questioning principals and witnesses, case preparation, and testifying in court.
3. Investigate traffic accidents and performs related traffic control functions.
4. Performs dispatcher duties such as operating telephone and radio communication equipment and performing related clerical tasks. This position requires fast, efficient and accurate receiving, dispatching and processing of calls and messages to and from police vehicles and personnel.
5. Recovers stolen property; provides various types of public service and assistance to students, faculty, staff, guests and visitors on the university campus; lock/unlock doors, assist motorists within limits established by the department; provide extra security at university functions; provide money escorts
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Enforce university regulations in the residence halls.
2. Prepares necessary records and reports.
3. Performs related work as required.
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of standard police practices and techniques.
2. Knowledge of the university properties, population, and traffic control problems.
3. Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine the proper course of action.
4. Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, and tactfully and with respect for the rights of others.
5. Ability to react quickly and calmly under emergency conditions.
6. Ability to obtain information through interview, interrogation, and observation.
7. Ability to understand and execute difficult oral and written instructions.
8. Ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing, and to prepare comprehensive records and reports.
9. Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms.
10. Ability to develop and maintain good public relations.
11. Skill in furnishing first aid and comfort in case of accidents, illness, and death situation.
Possess a high school diploma or GED . Will fully comply with the requirements for peace officer as set forth in the Georgia Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Act as defined by the Georgia P.O.S.T. Council. Ability to obtain GCIC certification as a Full Terminal Operator. Sufficient physical, mental and emotional condition, as determined by a Medical History and Examination, necessary to perform the essential functions of a police officer. Satisfactory completion of polygraph, drug test, and credit check.
Regular firearms qualifications is required to maintain employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to your resume and cover letter, applicants will also need to complete a University Police Questionnaire.
TO COMPLETE THE REQUIRED UNIVERSITY POLICE QUESTIONNAIRE , please click on the link below:
ONCE YOU COMPLETE THE DOCUMENT , SAVE AND UPLOAD IT AS PART OF YOUR APPLICATION WHERE REQUESTED WITHIN THE ON- LINE APPLICATION PROCESS .
Please note: A minimum of three professional references with names, phone numbers and address information must be provided in the reference section of the application.
According to University President Lisa Rossbacher, "Southern Polytechnic is a special-purpose institution in the University System of...