Hiring Salary Range: $48,484 - $60,590 depending on qualifications
Full Salary Range: $48,484 - $72,716
Reporting to the Chief of Police, the purpose of this position is to plan, organize, and implement the department's public information activities in order to provide the public and media with timely and accurate information in matters of public interest and to provide a positive organizational image. This position is highly visible, requiring extensive public contact.
Examples of Duties:
• Responds to written and telephone inquiries regarding Police Department activities;
• Conducts research and writes press releases, bulletins, and various periodic and special purpose reports and arranges for distribution in a timely manner;
• Verifies accuracy and thoroughness of information;
• Coordinates the release of official statements and information on behalf of the Police Department;
• Speaks in public and in front of television cameras;
• Represents the department in various dealings with the public or other agencies; speaks to various groups to provide information;
• Drives a vehicle and responds to crime scenes and other police-related events at varying hours of the day, under varying weather conditions in order to meet and speak with officers and media personnel;
• Takes pictures using digital camera; assists with set-up of meeting space; operates projector and computer;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field; and
• Three to five years of experience in public relations, journalism, or closely related field.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of principles, techniques, and objectives of public information;
• Knowledge of laws pertaining to the release of criminal justice information;
• Skill in operating assigned office equipment, including computer equipment and various software packages;
• Ability to produce written documents in English with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar;
• Ability to interact professionally and cooperatively and establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, officials, and the general public;
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to individuals and/or groups;
• Ability to analyze facts and exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions;
• Ability to research, collect, organize, and analyze data, and to prepare clear, concise reports.
• Valid driver's license
Greenville, NC is the 10th largest city in the state of North Carolina and the home of East Carolina University! Located halfway between the...