This is responsible supervisory work performing and directing law enforcement activities for an assigned shift, staff or police personnel, or specialized technical police work of comparable responsibility. This position acts as the watch commander in their absence. Independent judgment, initiative and understanding must be exercised in interpreting orders, rules and regulations, and in meeting emergency situations. Work is performed in accordance with established rules, regulations, and instructions from superior officers who review the work through reports, conferences, and observation of police efficiency.
Southern Polytechnic State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is a residential university with over 6,000 students pursuing bachelors and masters degrees in many of the nation’s fastest growing technology fields. The university, located one mile west of 1-75’s Exit 263, is just 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta. Southern Polytechnic is an EOE / ADA /AA Employer.
1. Act as shift supervisor; monitor patrol activities, respond to major, routine and emergency calls for service, provide field assistance to officers and make decision to call specialized personnel to major crime scenes as necessary.
2. Supervise/participate in the investigation of crimes and other offenses against persons and property. Reviews investigation reports.
3. Supervises the work of personnel engaged in communications and the preparation and maintenance of a variety of police records and reports on as assigned shift.
4. Perform/supervise dispatcher duties such as operating telephone and radio communication equipment and performing related clerical tasks. This position requires fast, efficient and accurate receiving, dispatching and processing of calls and messages to and from police vehicles and personnel.
5. Recover stolen property; provide various types of public service and assistance to students, faculty, staff, guests and visitors on the university campus; provide money escorts.
6. Prepare or direct the preparation and maintenance of necessary records and reports.
7. Train subordinate personnel in acceptable patrol practices, methods, techniques and procedures; advises subordinate personnel on unusual, complex or difficult situation.
8. Performs related work as required.
9. Other tasks and duties as assigned.
10. Accept shift assignment at the direction of department command.
11. Subject to non-voluntary overtime work.
12. Shift supervisor is a working supervisory position and shares the workload of their subordinates.
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Graduation from a standard high school or GED and six months law enforcement experience.Georgia P.O.S.T. basic peace officer certification or ability to obtain certification within six months of employment. Ability to obtain GCIC certification as a Full Terminal Operator. Sufficient physical, mental and emotional condition, as determined by a Medical History and Examination, necessary to perform the essential functions of a police officer. Satisfactory completion of polygraph, drug test, and credit check.
Regular firearms qualifications is required to maintain employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to your resume and cover letter, applicants will also need to complete a University Police Questionnaire.
TO DOWNLOAD THE REQUIRED UNIVERSITY POLICE QUESTIONNAIRE , COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING URL IN A NEW BROWSER WINDOW :
ONCE YOU COMPLETE THE DOCUMENT , SAVE AND UPLOAD IT AS PART OF YOUR APPLICATION WHERE REQUESTED WITHIN THE ON- LINE APPLICATION PROCESS .
Please note: A minimum of three professional references with names, phone numbers and address information must be provided in the reference section of the application.
Southern Polytechnic State University - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard