The Pasadena Police Department is seeking an experienced police services paraprofessional to perform a variety of field and office/administrative support duties to support an assigned section: Traffic, Uniforms & Equipment, Training or Community Relations. The Police Specialist IV serves in the role of a Community Services Officer and provides technical support in areas not requiring a sworn officer, such as taking police reports of burglary, theft, and traffic accidents, creating, overseeing and supporting various community outreach programs/events, and providing other technical support functions. The ideal candidate will be an engaged, energetic and passionate individual about promoting and supporting various police services and programs to increase awareness, effectiveness and communication in our community. Come join our team!
About the Department
The Pasadena Police Department is comprised of a talented, diverse, and proactive group of world class police professionals. The Pasadena Way is the framework of our service and is the common thread bonding us together as community partners. Moving forward together requires community support, relationships built on trust, treating others with respect, and open communication. To learn more about us visit http://www.cityofpasadena.net/police/
The following presents some of the major responsibilities for this position; see the class description for more detailed information:
- Provides operational and administrative support in the field or office to an assigned section: Traffic, Uniforms & Equipment, Training or Community Relations.
- Responds to traffic accidents, burglary and/or theft incidents, documenting occurrence and preparing criminal incident reports.
- Provides assistance to law enforcement personnel in creating, overseeing and supporting crime prevention and community programs and events.
- Creates program material and handouts, and makes oral presentations to community groups; coordinates program/event logistics.
- Conducts research on special projects; presents findings of studies and surveys.
- May assist in crowd and traffic control.
- Takes witness statements and serves subpoenas.
- Performs a variety of complex clerical and customer support functions including assisting with public inquiries and providing information.
- Provides guidance and training of other staff members.
- May dispatch and operate police vehicles and equipment.
The following is a list of some of the core competencies for this position:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of and ability to learn legal/criminal codes and operational policies.
- Investigate and report writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively communicate and engage with the community in a variety of programs and services.
- Excellent public relations and oral presentation skills.
- Closely take and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information.
- Technical skills - Operate basic office software programs and equipment, including communication devices (2 way radio).
- Diplomatic approach in responding to the needs of a variety of constituent populations in a broad spectrum of police services situations.
- Operate a police vehicle.
- Four years of responsible police services administration duties, including field and office experience.
- Police Science education is desirable.
The employment process will consist of an evaluation of training and experience and the most highly qualified candidates may be invited to participate in a written, oral, or performance examination. Probationary test period is six months.
Possession of and ability to maintain a valid Class C California Driver's license.
A thorough background investigation is performed on candidates for employment including education, employment, DMV, criminal and a polygraph test. Click here for further background information http://www.cityofpasadena.net/police/background_investigation/
May be assigned to work weekends, holidays, evenings, nights. May be assigned field and/or office duties.
FLSA - Non-Exempt