The New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute (OTI) seeks a Policy Director to direct its domestic and international policy research, analysis, and education efforts. OTI promotes affordable, universal, and ubiquitous communications through partnerships with communities, researchers, industry, and public interest groups and is committed to maximizing the potentials of innovative open technologies for poor, rural, and other underserved constituencies. OTI provides in-depth, objective research, analysis, and findings for policy decision-makers and the general public.
The Policy Director will report to OTI’s Director and serve as a member of OTI’s senior management team which includes the Director, Director of Field Operations, Technology Director, and Operations Director. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Minimum Qualifications and Relevant Experience
- Oversee the development and implementation of major strategic policy initiatives including developing policy proposals and reforms, directing policy and legal research, and managing outreach to the press, policymakers and the public;
- Direct and coordinate education efforts;
- Monitor and assess the activities of federal agencies, Congress, and relevant international bodies including hearings, policy statements, rulemakings, legislation, and congressional hearings that intersect with OTI’s policy agenda;
- Oversee development of policy press outreach and communication strategies including developing relevant messaging and talking points for the organization;
- Serve as organization’s primary representative to coalitions and facilitate close working relationships between coalition partners;
- Develop partnerships and collaborations with a diverse set of stakeholders and other civil society organizations;
- Coordinate the policy team’s work with OTI’s field and technology teams, partner projects, fellows within the Open Technology Institute, other New America Foundation programs, and allied organizations;
- Fundraise for the policy work of the program, including meeting with funders and managing grant compliance and other related activities;
- Oversee management, hiring, and the professional development of policy team staff;
- Work with OTI’s Director and other team leaders on organizational priorities including budget/finance considerations and general management of the program.
The deadline to apply for this position is August 2, 2013.
- Master’s Degree, Ph.D., or Juris Doctorate in relevant area;
- 5 years of professional experience in public policy related to technology and communications policy including:
- Communicating and advocating policy issues before policymakers, press, and the public;
- Working with a diverse set of organizations and stakeholders and developing collaborations and partnerships;
- Managing and mentoring staff with different experience levels, job functions, and expertise;
- Expert knowledge and familiarity with technology and communications policy along with the relevant federal and international policy institutions;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills and leadership ability;
- Dedication to open technology, open networks, and open source and to maximizing their potential benefits for poor, rural, and other underserved constituencies;
- Documented fundraising expertise.
New America Foundation - 9 months ago