BLS- Basic Life Support
POSITION SUMMARY :
This position is responsible for assisting in the delivery of personalized, professional and quality patient care, internal and external customer service, performance of sleep studies, monitoring and documenting all patient activities, cleaning the equipment, preparation of all departmental paperwork, answering the department’s telephone, scheduling of patients, entering and retrieving patient information from the Hospital Information System (HIS) and maintaining the work area in a clean and organized manner.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES :
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS :
- Maintains effective communication with medical staff, administrative staff, nursing staff and other team members.
- Assists the organization in incorporating the guiding principles into its sleep laboratory practice.
- Ascertains the delivery of patient care is provided in a personalized, professional and quality manner.
- Ascertains that Joint Commission, local, state and federal accrediting and licensing bodies’ requirements are met.
- Ascertains that the delivery of patient care is compliant with the accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Assists in the Quality Assurance / Improvement Program of the Sleep Laboratory.
- Performs quality control on equipment and notifies management immediately of any potential malfunction or hazard of equipment.
- Explains sleep study to the patient and / or family member in a thorough and professional manner.
- Performs sleep study, monitoring and documentation all patient activities.
- Performs therapeutic CPAP and / or BiPap according to department’s policies and procedures, documenting their effects on patient.
- Enters and retrieves patient information from the Hospital Information System (HIS) in a proficient manner.
- Provides minimal nursing care to patient, ascertaining the patient is comfortable when providing a diagnostic or therapeutic procedure. Seeks additional nursing or physician assistance when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains department paperwork, verifying accuracy of information.
- Ascertains that the delivery of patient care and billing are compliant with the accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Ascertains that patient charges are entered timely and correctly.
- Answers telephones in a courteous and professional manner within three (3) rings.
- Orders supplies for the division, ensuring that patient care is not interrupted.
- Schedules patient examinations according to departmental procedures.
- Cleans equipment and maintains work area in an organized manner.
- Any other duty that may be assigned.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated proficient communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to operate office equipment including telephones, computers, copiers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to operate medical equipment including sleep equipment, flow meters, pulse oximeters, CPAP and BiPap equipment, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to compile and present information in an organized manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must actively pursuing one of the four eligibility pathways for the RPSGT Exam
- Previous employment as a polysomnographer preferred, but not necessary
- Credentials of a Registered Polysomnographer Technologist (RPT) or must obtain credentials of a Registered Polysomnographer Technologist within 18 months of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification through the American Heart Association
- RPT and BLS must be current at all times during employment. Failure to maintain RPT and BLS status will result in termination of employment.
Seton Healthcare Family - 20 months ago