Job Title: Portfolio Manager – US Equity
Reports To: Senior Portfolio Manager – US Equity
Department: US Equity
Suggested Salary: $170,726 - $213,408 with eligibility to participate in OPERS Incentive Compensation Program
FLSA Status: Exempt
Number of Openings : 1
Accepting Applications: 1/28/2013 until filled
All applicants must be able to comply with OPERS Personal Trading Policy as linked here .
SUMMARY: This position assists in the development and implementation of an investment process used to manage all actively managed fundamental equity portfolios.
Portfolio Management and Monitoring
1. Meet with assigned analysts to vet out best ideas for investment and review current holdings.
2. Monitor positions across assigned sectors for news capable of changing competitive positioning.
3. Aid Senior Portfolio Manager to insure portfolios are managed within risk mandates.
Fundamental Research and Development
1. Aid Senior Portfolio Manager in developing analyst staff by working with and teaching analysts the investment process.
2. Conduct fundamental research on assigned sectors, as well as, sectors covered by analysts in your charge.
3. Other duties that may be assigned.
Organizational and Human Resources
1. Performs all supervisory functions in accordance with OPERS’ practices and policies.
2. Develops and manages staff to facilitate career growth and professional development, while following OPERS management philosophy and guidelines.
3. Recruits and retains a qualified competent professional staff.
4. Provides regular periodic evaluations and constructive guidance of staff members.
5. Emphasizes and promotes professional and ethical conduct.
6. Carries out any necessary disciplinary actions in conjunction with Human Resources
7. Annually and in conjunction with the Manager, develops objectives as derived from the strategic business plan.
8. Participates in the annual budget process.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong keyboarding skills
• Bachelors in related field required
• Master’s Degree preferred
• Minimum 10 years of direct or progressive experience in the US Equity asset class, including research, trading, and portfolio management required.
• A verifiable US equity management track record preferred.
• Proficient, with intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Windows operating system; MS Word; MS Excel; MS Powerpoint; Internet Explorer (browser software) and MS Outlook required.
• Minimum 5 years of direct or indirect supervisory experience required.
• Ability to embrace and adapt to the ever-changing investment and organizational environment required.
• Ability to perform and understand higher order mathematics for economic, investment and portfolio management reports required.
• High level of ability to: write business correspondence and effectively respond to questions concerning communication related topics required.
• Chartered Financial Analyst or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst preferred.
• Registration and licensure with the State of Ohio Security Commission required.
• Within six months of hire, the candidate must meet the eligibility requirements to be licensed as a State Retirement System Investment Officer (SRSIO), which requires either:
1. Having achieved a passing scored on one of the following:
a. Series 63 exam administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
b. Series 65
c. Series 66
d. Level One of the Chartered Financial Analyst designation, or
2. Earning and being in good standing with the organization that issues any of the following credentials:
a. Chartered Financial Analyst
b. Chartered Financial Consultant,
c. Chartered Investment Counselor
d. Certified Public Accountant with a personal financial specialist designation
• Within one year of hire, any candidate who does not have the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation must enroll in the program and begin actively pursuing the designation by sitting for the first exam. Exception to this requirement may be made for direct, relevant industry experience as determined by the Chief Investment Officer.
OPERS - 17 months ago