The recipient will conduct research on microbial evolution and biodiversity, and will contribute to Microbiology genomic collections and bioinformatic resources at the California Academy of Sciences. This position reports to the Associate Curator of Microbiology. This is a temporary position for an estimated duration of one year, with the possibility of renewal.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct collaborative original research on the genomics of insect borne microbes such as arboviruses and their mosquito vectors
- Publish papers and generate grant proposals
- Contribute to the development of genomic, metagenomic and virus collections at the California Academy of Sciences
- Participate in and contribute to the programs and activities of the lab
- Participate in the various educational, public, and development programs of the Academy
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D) in an appropriate field, with all requirements completed by the starting date of the fellowship
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to conduct original and independent scientific research on microbial biodiversity and evolution
- Knowledge of and experience with molecular biology, next-generation sequence library preparation and sequencing, and related bioinformatics tools and programming.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write manuscripts, routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to perform motions 50% of the time. Must be able to walk for lengthy periods in steep terrain in hot and humid conditions; ability to travel by plane.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at http://calacademy.snaphire.com. Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.
California Academy of Sciences - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -