Have a passion for solving technical problems, from bottleneck analysis to collaboratively tuning the application stack?
- Enjoy providing support and advice for developers writing applications that access the databases?
- Want to build and manage solutions that provide infrastructure for deploying, managing, and maintaining terabytes of databases?
- Prefer to understand how something works, versus simply being content with knowing it does work?
Team members of Rentrak's Infrastructure Systems Group design and support mission-critical high-up-time systems running a complex application stack for each business vertical. Our work group functions as a highly collaborative cross-trained unit. While your primary focus will be on PostgreSQL management, you will also get to cultivate and apply skills ranging from system configuration management to software development.
As administrators of the central technical infrastructure for the company, we place a strong emphasis on providing excellent customer service to a broadly defined range of customers, including our internal users, developers, operators, business managers, and external clients. If you are looking to be an invisible cog in the machine, look elsewhere; if you are ready to make a difference to your coworkers and earn your daily thanks, come join us!
The ideal candidate...
Combines a number of technical skills and experience across several IT disciplines, such as:
- Database design, diagnosis, tuning, and troubleshooting (primary job functions)
- Software development (for interfacing with developers, nothing beats having walked in the other guy's shoes)
- Configuration management (for automating some types of deploy/maintenance work)
- Bottleneck analysis, in both physical and virtual environments
- Recovery planning, from the database to the application
and must also present strong soft skills for a team-oriented environment:
- Excellent internal customer service
- Holistic problem solving
- Sense of responsibility and follow-through
- Can-do attitude
- An eye for extrapolating possible side-effects from a known event, and vice versa
- More collaborative than heroic in problem-solving
- Enough experience and maturity to enjoy getting to shed turf-guarding, rejoice that you are not expected to know everything, and get straight problem-solving within a cross-functional team
- Help teammates with requirements analysis by asking probative questions when given a vague request
- Care and feeding of database systems, primarily Postgres, some Oracle and SQL Server.
- Must have or be willing to learn a deep understanding of Postgres behavior and internals.
- Work with development teams to design, implement, troubleshoot, monitor, and improve corporate projects.
- 1-3 years relevant experience.
- Experienced Linux user.
- Database administration (Postgres strongly preferred), including: installation, initialization, authentication, catalog navigation, query tuning, system tuning, resource contention analysis, backup and recovery, standby, replication, etc.
- Database design, to support developers in making scalable decisions in schema design and data processing models.
- Some experience with C, Perl and/or Bash is HIGHLY desirable.
Rentrak is a global media measurement and research company, providing content measurement, analytical services and unique insight to the most recognizable names in the entertainment industry.
Rentrak headquarters are located in beautiful Portland, Oregon, near scenic mountains, beaches, and rivers. Our office has convenient access to public transportation and the freeway.
We offer a friendly team oriented workplace and our benefits are among the best in the business including matching 401K program, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, wellness programs, tuition reimbursement, an extremely generous vacation package and more.
Rentrak Corporation proudly supports Affirmative Action. Rentrak Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation and pre-employment drug screen. Rentrak participates in eVerify.
*No recruiters or agencies please.
Rentrak - 7 months ago