ACCIONA is one of the foremost Spanish business corporations – a leader in the development and management of infrastructure, renewable energy, water and services. Listed on the selective Ibex-35 stock exchange index, it is a benchmark for the market. The Company was established over a century ago and is made up of more than 30,000 employees with a presence in more than 30 countries on five continents.
In 2004, the Company was transformed into three pillars of growth: infrastructure, energy and water. This change was reinforced in 2005 through an innovative positioning strategy based upon the orientation of these businesses towards sustainable development with a strong global vocation.
Less than a decade ago, ACCIONA was one of the main construction companies in Spain. By immersing itself in a process of diversification, and looking for business opportunities at the international level, ACCIONA has succeeded in reinventing itself. During 2008, and after exiting Endesa in 2009, ACCIONA achieved its goal of yet, another transformation – Acciona became a pioneering company in development and sustainability, converting itself into a global leader in the development, production and management of renewable energies, water and infrastructures with a minimum environmental impact.
This journey would not have been possible without ACCIONA's ground-breaking tradition. It was behind the first merger in the Spanish construction market and, during the 1990s, was also the first non-utility to adopt a strategy based upon renewable energies.
This profound transformation was also possible thanks to an enormous investment effort, a decided commitment to innovation, and the social commitment to create quality employment.
ACCIONA currently has an opening for a Power Originator at our Chicago, IL location. Below is a description of the position as well as the qualifications necessary to be successful in this role.
· Identify physical and financial offtake opportunities in the wholesale and retail
energy markets aimed at maximizing revenue and minimizing generation/trading
costs at wind and solar power plants in the US and Canada.
· Optimize the sale of environmental attributes (RECs/Carbon Offsets/etc) from
wind and solar projects in the US and Canada.
· Manage financial risks associated with operating power plants in organized
wholesale markets. This includes in-depth understanding/research of
ISO/RTO/utility tariffs, joint operating agreements, and business practice
· Develop and maintain business relationships with wholesale energy, retail
energy, and environmental attribute market participants and brokers.
· Assess and respond to renewable market trends, along with broader energy
· Monitor and report on federal, regional, and state level regulatory environments in
- Strong analytic and communication skills.
- Prior experience in the energy industry, including power origination, trading, and/or settlements, preferred.
- Ability to evaluate and structure fixed-price swaps and other financially-settled hedge products.
- Ability to negotiate commercial contracts.
- Intermediate knowledge of energy market dynamics and the ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations and trends influencing the continued adoption of renewable energy.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, finance, or related analytic field (MBA a plus).
- Ability to travel overnight.
0 – 24%
50 – 100%
Seeing/Comprehension: Must be able to read documents, reports, and computer screens and/or examine or inspect material or data.
Hearing: Must be able to communicate with customers and coworkers.
Hand/Finger Dexterity: Manipulating objects, equipment and/or using keyboard.