As a Power Systems Engineer, you will support the overall operation of National Grid's mission critical Energy Management System (EMS). Demonstrated experience with the following is desirable: EMS Real-Time Network Applications, including Power Flow, State Estimator, Real-Time and Study Security Analysis and Operator Training Simulator (OTS). You will be responsible for problem resolution, including diagnosis of application failures, network modeling and data quality issues. Responsibilities will also include the day-to-day needs of control room operating staff and other end users to conduct studies using the EMS Network Applications. It is a requirement that supporting the SCADA/EMS real-time operation will include participation in the on-call rotation providing 7x24 hour support (not shift work). To succeed you will be able to:
- Possess excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and be able to work in a team work
- Maintain the National Grid EMS Network Applications; Power Flow, State Estimator, Real-Time and Study Security Analysis and Operator Training Simulator (OTS).
- Help to develop, validate and maintain the OTS base cases and develop and model specific switching scenarios that have proved significant to real-time power systems operations. Work activities will involve a mixture of both routine duties as well as specialized projects. Develop and ensure realistic power system modeling of internal and external systems.
- Provide EMS and EMS Advanced Applications training to new Control Center personnel and trainers.
- Coordinate with the EMS vendor and EMS IT staff to ensure the functionality and the availability of the Advanced Applications and the OTS.
- Participate in on-call rotation as required to support operations department and maintain high EMS availability.
- Participate with the EMS engineering staff on various engineering assignments relating to the operation and support of the EMS.
- Interact with local SCADA field engineering groups both within and external to the organization to resolve issues.
- Maintain awareness of new developments in EMS applications as applied to power system control and operation.
- Participate in the EMS replacement project and expansion effort of the National Grid EMS that will include requirements definitions; directing vendor upgrades and builds; power system network modeling and programming in modern client/server environment.
- Position requires a BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering. Power Systems emphasis or control room experience is desired.
- Knowledge and operational experience in Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition/Energy Management Systems (SCADA/EMS) as applied in power system control centers is desirable.
- Knowledge of Real-time network applications, power system network modeling techniques and maintenance of power system network analysis software.
- Familiarity with power system components and their database models; power system modeling and advanced application functions on an Energy Management System is desirable.
- Familiarity with the ABB Network Manager core technology products (or other EMS/SCADA products) is desirable.
Monster - 19 months ago
It's not gridlock but a lock on the Grid that is a good thing for National Grid. It is the sole owner and operator of the electricity...