The Practice Manager, Clinic Operations ensures smooth daily operations of the Beetham Eye Institute (BEI) medical practice and support services and provides budgetary support, directly or via delegation to designated supervisory staff. Specifically designated area is the Beetham Eye Institute.
The Practice Manager will also serve as a key resource for practice affiliations including but not limited to Massachusetts Eye and Ear, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess. Works with staff from other institutions to insure seamless care and the highest level patient experience.
- Directs activities of support staff in the BEI to ensure smooth operations, via appropriate coverage and adequate staff provided in support of clinical services. Integrates the support staff, and medical staff, to ensure a high quality of patient care with limited interruptions to patient flow. Takes, or directs corrective disciplinary action when needed.
- Serves as principal liaison between medical staff and clinic administration to provide communication and resolution to operational issues. Monitors practice metrics to ensure high levels of efficiency in the management of appointment volume, patient access, no-show rates. Suggests and/or implements corrective actions as needed.
- Assists with creation and implementation of operating and capital budgets. Reviews monthly budget performance, makes recommendations as needed and implements after approval. Signs off on appropriate invoices and expenses, including payroll, ensures staff remains within budget constraints.
- Collaborates with Revenue Cycle to ensure staff assists in obtaining insurance referral for services, timely submission of provider charges participates in internal audits, makes decisions to adjust patient billing. Reviews wRVU productivity reports with BEI director to monitor whether physicians are meeting targets and implements remedial measures as determined by the BEI director to ensure targets are met.
- Ensures staff adherence to State, Federal, and institutional safety guidelines including OSHA, HIPAA and DPH
- Participates in process of recruitment of professional staff; may serve on interview committee at request of medical leadership, organizes orientation for incoming professional staff, assists with process of credentialing for provider staff.
- Proactively assesses resource needs such as staffing, space, equipment and software technology. Develops potential solutions and implements agreed to plans of action.
- Participates in weekly rotation of Administrator On Call coverage to facilitate major decisions in case of emergency.
- Maintains working relationships with vendors on service contracting for equipment and medical supplies as required.
- May participates in various BEI and JDC committees as needed.
- BA in business or related area
- 5+ years of related experience in a medical setting, ambulatory setting preferred
- Experience in ophthalmology and/or surgical practice a plus
- Minimum of 2-3 years of management/supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, experience with Access preferred
- Experience with electronic medical records preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate to explain policies, procedures, expectations, etc. to staff both verbally and in writing. Such communication may be done on a one-to-one basis or in a groups setting.
- Ability to establish and promote cooperative working relationships to integrate staff to provide high level of patient care.
- Ability to efficiently multitask, prioritize and respond to meet patient and staff needs based on fluctuating demands.
- Skill in performing effectively under the stress of frequent interruptions and/or distractions.
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of staff and customers, internal and external, to serve as liaison between clinic administration, medical staff, and customers maintaining professional demeanor at all time.
- Skill in developing staff by providing supervision, oversight and training, while effectively delegating responsibility, and collaborating with staff to organize their objectives.
Joslin is an EEO M/F/D/V
Joslin Diabetes Center - 16 months ago