Our Texas Division is current seeking a Preconstruction Manager to work in our Houston office. The Preconstruction Manager is great opportunity within McCarthy acting as a integral part of the Preconstruction team handling day to day contact with the owners and design team on some of the most challenging and key projects in the division. The Preconstruction Manager will both lead preconstruction and estimating efforts, as well as support executive management. This is an opportunity where only those who want to succeed and grow within McCarthy should apply.
• Participates in interviews and interview preparation for negotiated bids.
• Assists the Marketing Department in preparation of responses to RFP’s and RFQ’s.
• Provides value alternative solutions taking into consideration cost, schedule, maintenance, and life cycle cost implications. Oversees value alternate preparation from subcontractors, and internal departments.
• Fills in design gaps for incomplete documents for the completion of estimates. Ensures estimating department has most current design information in the preparation of estimates.
• Prepares and submits contract documents for legal and risk reviews
• Prepares qualifications and assumptions that align with the contractual requirements of the project.
• Assists in the prequalification process.
• Leads internal McCarthy estimate review and bid process team meetings.
• Acts as “Bid Captain” on pursuits, particularly those projects with a preconstruction period after award, such as a Design-Build pursuit.
• Oversees the establishment and maintenance of budget control during the preconstruction phase of the project.
• Presents deliverables to the owner in a complete and organized manner, per the approved guidelines of McCarthy and the requirements of the owner.
• Attends and represents McCarthy in all design and coordination meetings. On some projects may lead these meetings. Maintains an action log for outstanding items and assigns responsibility for such action items. Maintains scope issues log and is responsible for compiling pricing (with assistance from estimating as needed).
• Prepares or oversees preparation of the preconstruction schedule with buy-in from internal departments as relates to them. Interfaces with the owners and designers to maintain schedule. Keeps internal departments informed of schedule changes as relates to their activities.
• Assists project team in design decisions and development of solutions.
• Reviews the project construction schedule and ensures the timely preparation of the General Conditions and coordination of General Conditions with trade packages.
• Manages and maintains consistent deliverables in the approved format.
• Manages all aspects of risk and defines such for the executive team.
• Ensures we are adhering to contractual requirements by understanding preconstruction and construction contracts and applying knowledge to assigned project.
• Tracks and manages construction budget between formal estimating periods and keeps owner and team abreast of current budget and impact of design decisions.
• Acts as the team liaison between operations, estimating and design management.
• Represents McCarthy to subcontractors through management of the preconstruction process.
• Assists in the development and training of other preconstruction staff.
• Manages a relationship management plan with owners and key stakeholders in the markets that we cover
• Builds and maintains relationships with architects and engineers
• Builds and maintains solid relationships with subcontractors to obtain a competitive advantage for McCarthy.
• Attends industry events and represents McCarthy to the industry in a professional capacity.
• Builds and maintains relationships with internal McCarthy clients.
• Creates a knowledge of cost elements of projects by bid package and/or uniformat (i.e., cost/sf of elements)
• Manages and maintains the buyout log for the project.
• Prepares and manages the Exhibit One production into subcontracts.
• Sets up the chart of accounts for the project into Oracle.
• Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture or Engineering, and/or 7-10 years of applicable estimating, design management and/or field management experience.
• Proven experience managing preconstruction for wide range of relevant projects.
• In-depth knowledge of construction principles/practices required.
• Experience dealing with subcontracts, subcontractors and/or self-perform work.
• Experience leading successful team ventures, including development of employees and maintaining relationships with external entities and subcontractor community.
• Self starter. Highly motivated to bring results and success to the projects he/she leads.
• Ability to build trust and influence others internally and externally.
• Demonstrates behaviors consistent with McCarthy core values.
• Maintains a “value added” approach to preconstruction.
• Strong communication skills with ability to communicate to varied audiences.
McCarthy - 7 months ago