Everyone has heard the expression that it's "what's on the inside that counts," but Matthews Packaging Graphics has a different slant on that maxim. For this division, image is everything. That's because Matthews Packaging Graphics is a leading provider of pre-press and imaging systems used by corrugated and flexible packaging manufacturers to reproduce text, graphics, logos, bar codes and other details on packaging materials
Today, the Division not only supplies printing plates and cutting dies for creating multi-dimensional packages and store displays, but also provides the following service, through the Brand Solutions Group:
• Creative design services to the packaging industry and its end users.
• Electronically-created art, color separations, films and digital scans, known in the industry as "pre-press services".
• Media asset management, audio, video, animation, digital photography, commercial printing and web site development to ad agencies, manufacturers, printers, and publishers.
Many of the world’s leading Consumer Product Companies trust Matthews to control their Brand Management and Graphic Imaging requirements. The Brand Solutions core competencies consist of Brand Management in conjunction with providing packaging pre-press solutions. Matthews is a publicly traded company MATW (NASDAQ) headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA with Brand Solutions’ offices located worldwide.
The Pittsburgh, PA office of Matthews Brand Solutions is seeking a Prepress Artist. The prepress operator will receive various packaging design files such as folding cartons, labels, shippers, closures, etc. and will manage the files from the art for approval stage through print tools (Flexo plates or final press ready electronic files). Most of the files are high end and very complex with multiple spot colors. Color separations will be performed using ArtPro and Adobe software (Illustrator and Photoshop).
A summary of duties to include
• Preparing electronic art files
• Taking existing digital art and making it prepress ready to image
• Ensuring all graphic elements are consistent across related files and packaging
• Trapping and stepping files
• Proofing experience
• Labeling and archiving of final files
• Working efficiently with other graphic artists on same projects
• Proofreading artwork
• Quality checking art files and proofs for accuracy
• Other duties as assigned
• 3 - 5 years experience in prepress for packaging or related industry is strongly preferred
• Previous experience with flexo, offset and gravure print processes a must.
• Strong file assembly skills
• Expert trapping skills for packaging using ArtPro, Illustrator, Deskpack and Photoshop.
• The ability to recognize press characteristics as they relate to file preparation for printing
• Familiarity with file preparation for a Backstage/Nexus workflow
• Familiarity with Epson and Kodak Approval proofing devices
• High attention to detail and accuracy
• The ability to produce error-free work
• Experience with EskoArtwork workflow solutions/tools
• Candidate must be flexible and team oriented
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment handling multiple tasks and tight deadlines
• Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
• Excellent communication skills
We offer an excellent working environment and competitive salary and benefits package including 401k.