FAMILY NETWORK PARENT/CHILD DROP-IN CENTER
Family Network, a Family Focus Center located in Highland Park, is a not-for-profit, non-sectarian family support agency open to all regardless of ability to pay or geographic location. The Family Focus mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families in and with their community.
The Family Network Parent/Child Center serves families with children from birth to four years of age through a variety of parent support, social and educational programs, and child development activities.
The preschool teacher is responsible, with a co-teacher, for overall supervision and management of the morning preschool classroom at the Parent/Child Drop-In Center, providing an environment conducive to the development of the children as well as building relationships with parents. The position is approximately 8 hours per week (9:00 to 12:00 noon, Tuesday and Thursday mornings, plus 2 additional hours per week for staff meetings, supervision, and training). This is a contractual position.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
Essential requirements include:
• Respect for children, parents, and caregivers
• Flexibility, patience, and self-reflective capacity
• Understanding of developmental needs of children ages 2 ½ to 4 years
• Sensitivity to children's socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds
• Use of positive discipline and guidance techniques
• Ability to provide a warm, welcoming environment which recognizes and respects the individual needs and goals of each family
• Ability to plan a developmentally appropriate, play and relationship-based program to promote the social, emotional, and physical development of each child
• Ability to work well with team members (co-teacher, volunteers, social worker)
• Commitment to the principles of family support and strength-based practice
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Plan and co-facilitate morning preschool age group in Parent/Child Drop-In Center
• Build supportive relationships with parents
• Provide an environment conducive to the overall development of the child
• Share responsibility with team members for organization and maintenance of the Sunshine Room
• Participate whenever possible in Family Network special events
• B.A. degree
• Early childhood education and experience preferred;
• Bilingual Spanish a plus.
$15.00 - $18.00 per hour, commensurate with education and experience.