NYC Department of Education
Division of Human Resources and Talent
Office of Teacher Recruitment & Quality (TRQ)
Position Title: Teacher Application Prescreener Consultant
Position Summary: Prescreeners review applications from prospective candidates for teaching positions and decide who should be advanced through TRQ's internal interview process, as well as forwarded to individual principals for consideration. Prescreener consultants are at-will employees.
Reports to: Manager, Teacher Applicant Services
- Evaluate online applications for teacher positions using prescribed prescreening model to determine which applicants merit further consideration in the hiring process
- Must attend mandatory training session
- Attend necessary meetings and trainings
- Respond to regular requests for information from TRQ staff on progress
- Must be fingerprinted at NYC DOE (We will accept prints already on file as of 1992-2013.)
All prescreeners will be trained and must carefully adhere to the implementation of our prescreening rubric. All prescreening is done remotely via our online application system. Prescreeners should be available from February 2014 to June 2014 with potential to continue through October.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Ability to work well independently, and manage time effectively
- Proficient writing and critical thinking skills (including the ability to evaluate others' writing proficiency)
- Current NYC DOE employees are NOT eligible for a consulting position
- Prior experience evaluating resumes and analyzing essays
- Experience working in K-12 education
The compensation is on an hourly rate of $20/hour. Prescreeners will be expected to screen approximately 6-8 applications per hour, depending on the quality of applications.
- As all prescreening work is done online, the position requires that candidates have strong computer skills and consistent access to the Internet, email, and MS office programs.
- Each prescreener is required to work a minimum of 15 hours a week. Preference may be given to candidates who are available 20 or more hours.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants must submit a resume and answer the following two questions. Be sure to proofread your response. Write your response to the first question in essay format.
1. Please list three important qualities that you believe measure teacher effectiveness. For each of these three qualities---
A. Address how you might assess whether an applicant had this quality using written materials such as an application, a resume, and writing prompt and
B. Explain why you selected this quality
2. How many hours a week can you dedicate to this position?
Applications will be accepted through Friday, November 22, 2013.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, alienage and citizenship status, age, marital status, disability, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as provided by law), sexual orientation, gender (sex), and to maintain an environment free of discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment, or retaliation as required by civil rights law. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 923, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at "http://schools.nyc.gov/Administration/Offices/GeneralCounsel/OEO/default.htm."