JOB SUMMARY: Under direct supervision, the emphasis is on training and learning to understand company systems, databases, applications, as well as business, policies, practices and regulations. Learns basic actuarial techniques to determine appropriate price levels for a state(s). Works closely with manager and others to determine, recommend, and implement appropriate changes to state product design and class plan relativity. Requires substantial guidance from a manager or senior analyst to execute actuarial models, complete rate revisions, filings and indications, extract info from databases, manipulate spreadsheets and communicate results to Product Managers and others.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Supervisor/Manager/Director/Officer
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Becomes familiar with data sources and requirements; retrieves and manipulates data. Estimates future loss and premium results.
2. Develops knowledge of actuarial methodologies.
3. Under direct supervision, conducts analyses that adhere to actuarial standards of practice: selects appropriate data sources and methods, makes assumptions, recognizes considerations and develops recommendations.
4. Learns to document assumptions, methods, sources, considerations; organizes documents.
5. May note unreasonable results/non-optimal solutions and assists in resolution.
6. Prepares memos, documents, and letters as directed. Communications are to be concise, logical, organized, and grammatically correct. Recipient of documents may include internal and external parties including regulatory bodies.
7. Develops personal work schedule to ensure timely completion of assigned tasks.
8. Recognizes and begins to develop relationships within Pricing which are critical to completion of assigned tasks. Presents ideas verbally and in writing to Pricing audiences one-on-one or in small group settings.
9. Under direct supervision, builds and validates statistical models to enhance rating and/or underwriting. Monitors the effectiveness of statistical/actuarial rating and/or underwriting models. Learns statistical modeling software.
10. May train new employees in unit on standard work processes.
11 Must have the ability to learn on own in addition to formal training in order to contribute rapidly to the team. Accuracy and attention to detail is required. May participate in limited ad hoc analyses. All work is reviewed by manager or peer.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned,
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Experience: No prior work experience required.
Education: Bachelors degree (preferred) in actuarial science, business, finance, mathematics, statistics, economics or related field with a strong quantitative orientation.
Knowledge: Knowledge of mathematics, statistics, probability, and/or principles of finance and proven analytical skills.
Skills and Competencies: Effective verbal/written communication skills; Ability to comprehend actuarial concepts and other advanced statistical concepts; Ability to think logically and perform accurate calculations in a timely manner; Ability to use personal computer and related spreadsheet and database software. Learns quickly. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers to gain trust and respect. Strong problem solving and analytical thinking ability.
Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirments must be approved by the: Pricing Officer/Executive and Human Resources
Overtime Eligibility: Eligible (non-exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment; overtime as required. Occasional travel as needed.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to the principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...