Assist the teacher in providing for the physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in the special education program. Help implement educational programs, including, but not limited to: self-help, behavior management and instructional programs for students. Work under direct supervision of a certified teacher and indirect supervision of the school Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare educational materials and displays for the classroom with the assistance of the classroom teacher.
- Assist in keeping class neat and orderly.
- Assist teacher in handling administrative records and reports.
- Help substitute teachers with classroom layout, or other pertinent classroom management.
- Assist with inventory, care and maintenance of equipment.
- Assist in small group or individual learning activities as designed and assigned by the teacher.
- Help physically disabled students, students with physical needs and personal care according to their needs, including but not limited to, transferring to and from wheelchairs, lifting or positioning, feedings, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
- Assist in student behavior management; This includes handling crisis situations and restraining disruptive or dangerous students as needed
- Take interest in and responsibility for learning and conforming to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative and emotional needs
- Assist in overseeing students throughout school day, inside and outside classroom, lunchroom, bus and playground duty
- Advise teacher on special needs or problems of individual students
- Ensure confidentiality
- Enhance job skills by participating with staff development programs, as assigned
- Be active in faculty meetings and special events as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED. Must have a valid Texas Educational Aide Certificate or be able to obtain such. Must have some experience working with children. Capable of working with children with disabilities.
Ability to read, analyze, and apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions in written or oral form. Ability to set priorities. Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel, students, and parents.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent in Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn and use computer software as necessary. Ability to use basic office equipment.
SAFETY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Every employee of the School has an obligation to know our safety rules and procedures; to teach what they know to others; to recognize unsafe actions and situations; to warn others of unsafe situations; to react to emergency situations and to report hazardous or unsafe practices to those in a position to correct them.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and use the wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level is low to high and may have frequent interruptions. There may be activity from other employees and students of a distracting nature.
Satisfactory criminal records check, pre-hire and annually thereafter, if applicable. Must be eligible to work in theUnited Statesand provide work authorization.
MODIFICATION OF DUTIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Uplift Education retains the right to change and/or modify the duties and essential functions of this position at any time. This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee.
Uplift Education - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard