IFC Asset Management Company, LLC (AMC) is the fund management arm of International Finance Corporation (IFC). AMC was established in 2009 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of IFC to mobilize and manage third-party capital for investment in private enterprise in developing and frontier markets. It aims to enhance IFC’s development impact and financial sustainability, as well as generating attractive returns for its investors. AMC-managed funds are targeted at investors who are looking to increase their exposure to emerging markets and who are interested in accessing IFC’s transaction pipeline, investment approach and standards, global reach and track-record of superior returns. AMC currently has approximately $4.8 billion under management in the following funds:
In addition, AMC is in the process of raising new funds and will manage these funds as well as raise and manage additional funds in the future, each with a focus on a particular sector, region or product.
- IFC African, Latin American and Caribbean Fund, which co-invests in IFC equity and equity related transactions in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean across a broad range of sectors
- IFC Capitalization Fund, which invests in the equity and subordinated debt of large domestic commercial banks in developing countries
- Africa Capitalization Fund, which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa
- IFC Russian Capitalization Fund which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in Russia
- IFC Catalyst Fund which makes fund and direct investments focused on resource efficiency in the emerging markets globally.
IFC’s investment departments support AMC by providing investment origination, execution and supervision services, while investment and portfolio decisions for funds under management are taken independently by AMC.
The IFC Catalyst Fund (Catalyst or the Fund) raises capital from a variety of public and private sources, to invest alongside IFC in (a) private equity funds focused on resource efficiency in emerging markets globally; and (b) direct co-investments originated by its investee funds. IFC’s operating departments will assist AMC in originating, executing and supervising the Fund’s investments, but all investment and portfolio decisions will be taken independently by AMC.
AMC is presently seeking to hire an experienced professional to join the Catalyst team as Principal.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Principal will form a key part of the team in marketing and implementing the Fund.
The Principal will report to the Fund Head, and will be responsible for (i) leading AMC investment teams; (ii) working with the Fund Head and other IFC and AMC team members to support IFC to structure, negotiate and monitor fund investments and co-investment transactions that will lead to a solid and well balanced investment portfolio for the Fund; (iii) supporting the on-going marketing of the Fund; (iv) participating in negotiations with investors and helping to achieve closings for the Fund; and (v) helping to maintain a good relationship with the Fund’s investors and with IFC investment teams working on funds and co-investments.
In particular, the Principal will:
- Provide deal structuring and negotiation leadership to AMC investment teams;
- Work with the Fund Head to implement the Fund’s strategy;
- Work with the Fund Head to establish strong credibility with the Fund’s investors, co-investors and investee entities;
- Lead presentations of investment proposals to the Fund’s Investment Committee, articulating the detailed investment rationale and making concrete recommendations regarding proposed investments;
- Monitor portfolio entities and develop recommendations regarding portfolio actions including divestitures;
- Serve on Advisory Boards of portfolio entities, as required;
- Participate in fund raising activities for the Fund;
- Work closely with the Fund Head and AMC’s Chief Administrative Officer in implementing effective Fund administration, including investor liaison and reporting.
The successful candidate is likely to have worked for a private equity firm, a fund of funds management business, an international financial institution or major bank with significant emerging markets presence. He/she will have a deep understanding of and practical experience in valuation, structuring, portfolio management and business strategy, preferably in a fund of funds context.
The background and experience of the selected candidate is expected to include the following elements:
To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to AMCRecruit@ifc.org
- Master’s degree in finance, business administration or equivalent;
- At least 10 years of investing experience with a private equity fund, fund of funds, institutional investor, sovereign wealth fund, or similar entity, with a focus on equity and quasi-equity investments;
- Demonstrated track record of leading investment teams and concluding successful investments whether in PE funds or in companies (fund investing experience preferred);
- Team orientation, strong interpersonal skills and excellent communications skills orally and in writing;
- Mature business judgment and sound commercial instincts;
- Unimpeachable integrity and work ethic;
- Ideally, foreign language skills beyond English;
- A willingness to travel frequently is required.
NOTE: The selected candidate will be employed directly by AMC, which is a distinct legal entity to IFC.
IFC Asset Management Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
IFC - 20 months ago
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries....