This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
The Logistics Manager has direct and primary managerial responsibility for all equipment and supplies utilized by the Boston Fire Department, including fire equipment, personal protective equipment, special operations equipment, office supplies, station cleaning supplies, emergency medical equipment and other equipment and materials that support the mission of the Fire Department.
Reporting to the Deputy Commissioner of Administration and Finance, the Logistics Manager prepares and administers the Boston Fire Department annual budget for the Logistics Division and manages the Division's staff of equipment and logistics employees and manages outside equipment and logistics contracts.
Responsible for all aspects of the department's equipment, supplies and logistics management. Supervises and manages equipment and logistics members, including hiring, direction, scheduling support, technical advice, training and evaluation of performance.
Responsible for the management and the supervision of all outside contracts related to equipment and logistics, including the bunker gear cleaning, inspection and repair contract.
Develops and manages an equipment review, tracking and maintenance plans, including preventive maintenance programs, minor and major repairs and maintenance to the department's firefighting equipment.
Develops and manages an inventory system for all equipment, including personal protective equipment, fire equipment and other department assets, including reporting. Manages reporting on all supplies and equipment for City financial system.
Works with department uniform staff and department procurement staff to develop specifications for equipment and service contracts.
Works at the direction of the Deputy Commissioner of Administration and Finance, develops and administers the Logistics Division's annual budget and manages budget allotted to equipment and logistics in a proactive, efficient and effective manner.
Responsible for developing and maintaining a long-range equipment and logistics budget plan that incorporates the expected life cycle of each major piece of equipment.
Responsible for equipment and logistics reporting metrics.
Working with the Facilities Director, ensures that inventory on hand on department property is properly housed and secured. Works with employees at various locations to ensure accountability and appropriate storage and handling of equipment, supplies, etc.
Makes decisions for ordering equipment supplies, including an amount for supplies on hand, in a cost-effective manner.
Make appropriate recommendations and implements various improvements to comply and remain current with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations including the National Fire Protection Association.
Coordinates the purchase, safe storage, use, maintenance and delivery of equipment, regional equipment and supplies; may coordinate with the Office of Emergency Management or other City departments/divisions.
Works with department Safety Committee on equipment and personal protective equipment matters.
Works with the Training Division to plan training related to equipment or personal protective equipment purchases or other equipment matters as needed.
Assists the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners and Chief of Department as needed and assigned; may be required to communicate directly with external groups and/or labor unions about equipment-related matters, as assigned.
Develops and implements a long-range equipment plan (Including a master preventive maintenance plan).
Able to successfully complete training and education related to equipment, supplies, logistics, business automation, emergency management and preparedness, etc.
Available for emergency call out work related to equipment matters; ability to manage Department logistics during emergencies or unusual circumstances.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
1. At least four (4) years of experience in business or program administration preferably as an equipment or logistics manager with responsibilities of managing inventory or a warehouse location, of which two (2) years must have been in a supervisory capacity. College level course work in management, business, public administration or a similar field is highly preferred and may be substituted for the required experience on the basis on one year of said education for six months of the required experience. Supervisory experience may not be substituted.
2. Knowledge of inventory management and inventory management systems. Basic knowledge of federal, state and local regulations as applicable to equipment and inventory management. Knowledge of NFPA and other fire standards is preferred. Ability to assign tasks, direct subordinates and to follow up on assigned tasks to ensure quality of work and completeness of tasks.
3. Knowledge of the Incident Command System, National Incident Management System is preferred. Knowledge and experience with logistics during disasters and FEMA logistics experience is also desirable.
4. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; plan, direct and coordinate the equipment activities of the Department; estimate labor and material costs and requirements for maintenance and equipment; keep accurate records and prepare reports; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work; supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff including performance reviews.
5. Must possess basic computer skills, including operating a PC computer and applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, and Internet; must be able to learn and operate computer systems/databases and hardware related to logistics and inventory management.
6. Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
7. Must possess valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Boston Residency Required
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-8
Hours per week: 35
Please refer to the Salary Information section on the Boston Career Center site for more information on compensation. For each Salary Plan, salaries are listed by Grade and Step.
Boston Public Schools - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard