Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene seeks a talented, results and achievement oriented individual to contribute to our bioinformatics and data management initiatives in Research and Early Development (R/ED). This hands-on role interfaces with programs both in discovery research and translational development where processing and interpreting multi-platform and multi-dimensional ‘omic’ data in pre-clinical and clinical settings is being employed to identify molecular drug targets, characterize MOA, prioritize clinical indications and generate patient selection hypotheses.
We are seeking an individual with a strong business acumen, coupled with the ability to communicate findings to both scientific research and IT leaders in a way that can influence how an organization approaches a scientific challenge. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology space and a passion for identifying and answering questions to advance our ability to serve patients.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work closely with a research scientists to identify and answer important R/ED scientific questions
• Answer questions by using appropriate statistical techniques on available data
• Communicate findings to a broad spectrum of internal audiences
• Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
• Analyze and interpret the results of R/ED scientific experiments
• Develop and communicate best practices for data management and data integration
• Contribute to the quality control, annotation and curation of research and/or clinical data in biological and/or health related fields.
• Evaluate the research publications, protocols or other documentation to evaluate study aims, design, findings, and evaluation methods and document the information accordingly.
• Using the knowledge gleaned from the background metadata and results to perform data curation using standard tools and methodologies to annotate metadata, results and documentation from the studies to standard vocabularies, taxonomies or ontologies.
• Collect and analyze information from peer-reviewed scientific journals and through direct submissions of data; abstract data into the required format, and verify them for accuracy.
• Maintain collection of research data through databases and other repository means.
• Actively contribute to Celgene’s R/ED Data Assets initiative to build Celgene-specific knowledge collections for cell lines, animal models and drug compounds based on internal and external genomic, proteomic, transcriptional and epigenetic assay data.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
• Ph.D. with at least 8 years of work experience, preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline with at least 16 years work experience or Master’s degree with at least 14 years work experience.
• Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
• Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
• A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
• A flexible analytic approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
• Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
• Extensive experience with relational databases and SQL
• Expert knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, or SAS
• Experience working with large data sets and experience working with distributed computing tools is preferred (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
• Must have proven ability to work effectively as a multi-disciplinary team member or lead partnering with laboratory and clinical scientists, data management and IT support functions to add value to drug discovery and early development programs.
• Intimate familiarity with global public ‘omic’ data resources as well as experience accessing and mining the same
• Experience with common genomic, proteomic and next generation sequencing platforms, data set structures, analysis methods, analysis tools and computational strategies required.
• Proven excellence with management of data models and creation of and/or use of existing ontologies/taxomies.
• Training in molecular biology with experience in oncology and immunity/inflammation is a plus
Req ID: 14002452
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Job: Research and Development
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Posting: 2014-08-29 00:00:00.0
Celgene is delivering innovative therapies to patients with unmet medical needs in cancer and inflammatory diseases.