Purpose: To develop and prepare complex design layouts in 2D/3D for mechanical applications that are required to support Engineering for development and production programs. Determines the general features of very complex items and prepares layouts from which detail drawings can be generated.__
1. Performs, evaluates and technically leads other Design Support employees in preparing, verifying or checking designs, design layouts, production drawings, wiring diagrams, schematics, design revisions, drawing tree development, library component creation and maintenance, and documentation management, engineering release, parts screening and verification, internal/external customer interfacing, and procurement._
2. Performs program status reports for assigned programs. Administrative tasks including process and procedure development, estimating and metrics assessment and program status reports for assigned programs. Responsible for status reporting to assigned projects, including Cost Account Management (CAM) duties and estimates-to-complete
3. Works independently originating complex 2D and 3D layouts of complete systems for development or production programs requiring mechanical and electrical applications. Work involves a large number of parts where close tolerances, surface finish and materials are of major importance and specified and annotated on the layout. Also performs a wide variety of routine engineering studies and analyses in connection with tolerances, materials, and structures (non-complex problems).
4. Coordinates with supervision to establish particular preparation requirements for engineering documentation to the assigned program to meet customer contractual requirements (such as: drawing requirement directives). Verifies and checks compliance of design and drawings with AAI Drafting standards and conventions, contractual/military specifications and requirements, including selection of component parts from approved manuals and libraries.
5. Contacts appropriate personnel to secure data or requirements, clarify technical problems, evaluate designs, and discuss checking discrepancies and resolve manufacturing difficulties.
6. Performs investigative work relative to the selection of vendor components and material to provide the least possible cost for fabrication, assembly, ease of service, and maintenance without sacrificing performance, adaptability, appearance or customer quality.
7. Other duties as assigned
Education Required: Technical or Trade School Diploma
Education Preferred: Associate’s Degree in related discipline
1.Knowledge and ability to operate in a leadership role.
2.Knowledge and ability to schedule, lead and direct design teams.
3.Thorough knowledge of drafting and modeling processes and procedures.
4.Thorough knowledge of drafting standards and conventions.
5.Broad knowledge of military and commercial quality specifications.
6.Broad knowledge of manufacturing and assembly processes, electrical controls, mechanical options, and their applications.Desired knowledge in the creation of documentation to support castings, plastics and composite hardware.
7.Understanding of Total Quality principles and concepts.
8.General knowledge of electrical or mechanical applications to independently perform research and obtain additional information (e.g. from Engineering, QA, Manufacturing, catalogs, specifications) to complete an assignment autonomously. Responsible for the design configuration, all drawings, and documentation requirements needed for a complete Technical Data Package.
9.Effective administrative organizational skills applicable to the management of engineering documentation and documenting design change activity during the development and production phase.
10.Advanced knowledge and operation of computer skills (e.g., word processing, internally developed software, and maintenance creation of user libraries).
11.Advanced knowledge and operations of Computer tools (e.g. Unigraphics, AutoCAD) to perform design, detail, and assembly functions. Able to instruct other employees in the use and application of the required computer tools.
12.Ability to demonstrate innovative and creative design approaches.
13.Ability to adapt quickly to changes. (E.g. drafting tool software changes, project variations, process changes).
14.Ability to perform routine engineering calculations in strength of materials, simple forces and stresses, speeds, and weights.
15.Ability to interpret and perform a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form with minimal supervision.
Successful candidates will have experience in the following areas:
- Product, Manufacturing design
- Conceptual design
- Lean manufacturing design practices
- Design of complex assemblies, mechanisms and components.
- Injection-molded plastic product development
- Job planning and problem solving
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Cowl Design and EMI shielding for SUAS
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Unigraphics version NX 7.5
- Associate degree in related field preferred.
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements, including US Citizenship, for access to classified information.
Feb 19, 2013, 7:26:28 AM
Textron (and its subsidiaries) participates in E-Verify. We will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employer’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
AAI flies high, with or without pilots. AAI makes aerospace and defense systems, including unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) systems for the US...