Position: Principal Designer, HTC Innovation
Location: Seattle, WA
HTC Innovation is a forward thinking group dedicated to creating next generation experiences for all HTC devices. Unlike most research or forward facing teams, Innovation is dedicated to shipping software and seeing its work out in the real world. We currently seek bright, vibrant technologists to join experienced teams of dedicated professionals within our exciting company.
HTC's Innovation Team is looking for a user experience designer with 9 or more years experience, who is driven by the desire to work as a team player and elevate the team to the next level, shows a talent for creating and evangelizing unique, yet relevant, design solutions, and is committed to HTC's success in the mobile device market.
What you get to do everyday:
- Participate in user and market research to understand the needs and desires of our target audience.
- Facilitate the understanding of these needs/desires to the design team so they have the tools to evangelize the team’s design both internally and externally (strategic partners/operators).
- Develop and critique scenarios and storyboards that communicate design concepts to team members, product groups, and executives.
- Mentor design staff.
- Design, build, test and critique interactive prototypes to iterate and evolve design concepts.
- Oversee, coordinate and participate in the design, building, and testing interactive prototypes to iterate and evolve your design concepts.
- Oversee, coordinate and participate in delivering detailed information architecture, interaction and visual design specifications to product teams.
- Create and document design guidelines and strategy.
- Evolve and innovate on design process. Learn from current and past projects to help plan for more efficient future projects. Communicate with the team on both past process failures and future process changes/solutions.
- Manage cross team project schedules and communicate schedules with the design team.
- Track design related issues.
- Set, present and evangelize design vision, priorities and strategy to engineering, planning and marketing teams.
- Communicate and facilitate relationships with HTC's engineering and marketing groups in Taipei.
- Evangelize design culture and process within HTC's UX Design team and throughout HTC's worldwide organization.
What you bring to the role:
We should get to know each other if you:
- 9+ years interaction design experience and a focus on mobile user experience design.
- A strong understanding of mobile trends and industry.
- An infectious passion for all technology and experience design and how it can be used to make peoples lives better.
- Experience shipping multiple products from concept to creation.
- Experience working with and influencing a multi-disciplinary team of UX designers/researchers, planners, engineers, business development, product planning, and sales.
- Experience providing company design leadership (scope and vision).
- Experience in designing both hardware and software user interfaces.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects.
- The visual design skills to produce professional-quality interaction design concepts and specifications. You need not be a graphic designer per se, but the quality of the design of your deliverables must be commensurate with the high caliber of the content.
- BA/BS in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Computer-related Design, HCI, Human Factors, or closely-related field (masters degree is a plus).
- Expertise in the major graphics tools (Illustrator, Photoshop, and Visio/Omnigraffle) and at least one prototyping tool.
- Exceptional project management and communications skills and creates an environment for team members to be stronger designers.
- Are thrilled by the chance to ship new products of your own design to millions of passionate HTC users.
- Live for cross-disciplinary user-centered design, but would rather design products than discuss process.
- Obsess about creating design solutions that offer both functional and emotional benefits.
- See design as both a cultural and strategic activity.
- Are happy to travel quarterly to Taipei, Taiwan to collaborate with product groups.
Free agents with both corporate and consulting backgrounds are highly appreciated.
Equal Opportunity Employer