The Principal Solutions Engineer collaborates with Sales Teams on highly complex and product specific opportunities (IT Services or Hosted & VOIP or MPLS products) to produce technical, architectural, and engineering deliverables that lead to significant and profitable sales. This position will be considered a subject matter expert that other pre-sales engineers and technical sales personnel utilize for expertise. Deliverables include needs analysis, requirements, architecture diagrams, high level designs, detail specifications, technical presentations, RFP responses, and supplemental account commentary. This role is highly influential in leading customer to make purchasing decisions for highly complex product solutions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Minimum of 10+ years of related technical experience; 5 - 7 in Sales Engineering/Support Required
- Demonstrated knowledge of IT Services (such as managed security, cloud computing, virtualization, asset tracking, and Hosted IP), networking/telecommunications and/or voice/data communications technology.
Skills and Competencies:
- Effective Solutions Sales Capabilities: Demonstrates advanced solution selling abilities and effective, pro-active customer communications including proposal development, delivery, and RFP responses.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills. Must have the ability to independently develop relationships and communicate with high level internal and external technical staff.
- Proven Presentation Skills: Able to design and present highly technical concepts and specifics solutions to internal and external audiences of varying technical capabilities in a clear, concise and easily understood manner.
- Expert problem solving skills and ability to methodically understand and resolve complex issues
- Demonstrated ability to focus ambiguous customer needs into specific, deliverable requirements. Ability to extract hidden or unrealized customer requirements and gain consensus with the prospect.
- Ability to influence several cross functional departments to gain alignment and to drive design solutions with the appropriate organizations.
- Able to quickly and accurately assess current operations, identify design flaws, and build consensus on both a proposed solution and plan of action.
- Has experience estimating work effort for complex solution design and delivery. Track record of on-time, on-budget delivery. Can plan resources, time, and costs; explain variances. Effectively manages change at all stages of the sale, delivery, and in operations.
- Able to independently assess performance and service level agreements against both business needs and expected results.
- Creates technology white paper at least two times per year on EarthLink technology to be shared both within Sales Engineering and with clients and prospects.
- Provide Sales Engineering training specific to technologies on a quarterly basis.
Must have working knowledge of:
- Process Management and Quality ControlCloud/Managed Hosting Technology
- Data Center/IT Strategies
- Managed Network Services
- PBX and Hosted telephony solutions
- Access methods – Ethernet (EoC, EoS, EoF), DS1, DS3, OCn
- Layers 1, 2, 3, 4 OSI model Working knowledge of TCP/IP Model.
- Standard network topologies
- PSTN, PRI, Trunks, POTs and other associated Voice Technologies
- Routing & Switching protocols such as BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP, ISIS, CEF
- First hop redundancy and load balancing using protocols like HSRP, VRRP
- Security threats practices and typologies
- VOIP, VLANs, and LANs
- MPLS and associated CQoS practices.
- SIP and associated codecs
- Business finance and accounting
- Educational Level: Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent work, or related military experience
- Field of Study: Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or Business degree
- Master’s degree preferred
- Certifications: One of the following required depending on Principal Engineering area of focus: MPLS/VOIP products required CCIE and/or CCNP/CCVP or equivalent experience, IT Services Products require VMWare’s VCP, Security products require CISA, CISSP. Additional Security certifications preferred.
- Position requires reliable transportation and a Valid driver’s license and must maintain an acceptable MVR that meets the company insurance provider’s standards as driving is required in order to be able to fulfill the job responsibilities for the position.
- At least 50% travel (some local and some overnight travel)
EarthLink Inc. - 18 months ago
Some of us spend way too much time online, and EarthLink is OK with that. The company provides Internet connections to more than 1 million...