Essential duties and function:
- Develop new assembly processes from earliest concept thru production ramp. Lead the process development including identification of materials as well as specification of automation and assembly equipment
- Active member of new-product introduction team, collaborating with other design engineers, logistics, and quality engineering to develop process documentation, process control plans, and production control requirements to ensure the effective and efficient shipment of electronic components in high volume to our customers
- Provide critical feedback to the NPI team on the manufacturability of the new product by providing/coordinating appropriate DFM reviews. Analyze process capability including design-of-experiments to characterize processes and ensure high quality and high yields
- Evaluate and establish process capability and take responsibility for assembly yield during the development phase
- Provide the required process and equipment training for operators, technicians and offshore personnel as products transfer to production
- Coordinate design and fabrication of process tooling fixtures
- Work with sub-contractors to ensure their processes meet our design requirements, committing to development schedules, and meeting project milestones
- Travel to interact with overseas production facilities (Malaysia and China)
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability in the following areas:
- Three to five years of relevant experience in assembly process development for microelectronic, optoelectronic and fiber-optics components and assemblies
- Proven success with automated assembly and epoxy dispensing equipment
- Working experience with PCB and flex circuit, reflow and hot bar process
- Proven track record of successfully transferring products into high volume manufacturing , including frequent interaction with manufacturing teams both as part of transfer activities and ongoing cost/yield improvement projects.
- BS in mechanical engineering/electrical engineering or equivalent knowledge/experience in this field is required.
- Strong interpersonal/team skills, able to communicate and effectively interact with other engineers, supervisors, assembly operators, maintenance, etc. Excellent communication, planning, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient with Six Sigma methodology/tools such as Root Cause Analysis, SPC, FMEA, Control Plans, and Design of Experiments
- Familiar with optical alignment of fiber optics. Experience with automation of optical alignment processes is highly desired as well. Knowledge of opto-electronic packaging design and assembly
- Hands-on experience and knowledge with various assembly equipment and processes such as epoxy dispensing equipment, flex to PCB and flex to ceramic package attachment processes.
- Excellent analytical & problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks mechanical design software is preferred.
- Expertise in the development/operation of production tooling and fixtures, and in the use of standard lab tools and metrology equipment
Finisar - 23 months ago