Designs and specifies processes and process equipment, including performing the following duties.
o Mass and Energy Balances
- Determines feasibility of designing new plant equipment or modifying existing facilities considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Analyzes feed, product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine appropriate designs and processes.
- Provides technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range plant and product engineering planning.
- Confers with research personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develops design.
- Prepares or directs preparation of process design deliverables including:
o Process Flow Diagrams
o Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams
o Equipment sizing calculations
o Process line sizing calculations
o Equipment datasheets
- Directs and coordinates manufacturing or building of prototype processes or system.
- Compiles and analyzes operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment or processes.
- Plans and develops experimental test programs.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Confers with research and other engineering personnel and prepares design modifications as required.
- Reviews and checks the work of other process engineers to determine accuracy and completeness
- Reviews the work of other engineering disciplines to determine compliance with process requirements.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
2. Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
3. Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
4. Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
5. Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
6. Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
7. Verbal Communication – Able to clearly communicate to others at all levels within the organization.
8. Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Candidate must be a US Citizen.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) or equivalent in Chemical Engineering;
- A minimum of three (3) to six (6) years related experience and/or training.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Internet software. In addition, experience in the following process software packages is advantageous:
1. AFT Arrow
2. AFT Fathom
4. Aspen HYSYS
5. BR&E Promax
Certificates and Licenses: EIT strongly preferred. Candidate is expected to attain PE at earliest opportunity.
This job has some supervisory responsibilities, but is primarily a production role.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Potential Career Paths for this position
Sr Engineer > Technical Specialist > Sr. Technical Specialist
Sr Engineer > Lead Engineer > Principal Engineer
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
Merrick is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (EOE/AA/MF/D/V). We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Merrick & Company, an engineering, architecture, design-build, surveying, planning, and geospatial solutions firm, serves domestic and...