Smith Seckman Reid, Inc. is an employee-owned engineering design and facility consulting firm with 16 offices across the United States. We provide the highest quality design and engineering consulting services for projects of all sizes, anywhere. SSR has expertise in all aspects of facility design, construction, maintenance, operation and overall facility management and sustainability. The strength of our SSR team is our people and the shared belief that our culture makes this an extremely rewarding place to work.
SSR is looking for a Process Engineer for our Memphis, TN office.
A Process Engineer will develop and optimize economical industrial processes. The Process Engineer will be concerned with chemical and biochemical processes in which raw materials undergo change, and involves scaling up processes from the laboratory into the processing plant. Responsibilities involve designing equipment, understanding the reactions taking place, installing control systems, and starting, running and upgrading the processes. Environmental protection and health and safety aspects are also significant concerns. Work is project-orientated and you may be working on a number of projects, all at various different stages, at any given time.
The Process Engineer will take responsible charge for and perform responsibilities on assigned projects which shall include but not be limited to:
An ideal candidate must possess the following qualities or skills:
- Assessing processes for their relevance, and assessing the adequacy of engineering equipment;
- Reviewing existing data (also lab analysis) to see if more research and information need to be collated;
- Designing, installing and commissioning new production units, monitoring modifications and upgrades, and troubleshooting existing processes;
- Applying the principles of mass, momentum and heat transfer to process and equipment design, including conceptual, scheme and detail design;
- Conducting process development experiments to scale in a laboratory;
- Preparing reports, flow diagrams and charts;assessing the availability of raw materials and the safety and environmental impact of the plant;
- Managing the cost and time constraints of projects;
- Selecting, managing and working with sub-contractors;
- Supporting the conversion of small-scale processes into commercially viable large-scale operations;
- Assuming responsibility for risk assessment, including hazard and operability (HAZOP) studies, for the health and safety of both company staff and the wider community;
- Working closely with chemical engineers to monitor and improve the efficiency, output and safety of a plant;
- Ensuring the process works at the optimum level, to the right rate and quality of output, in order to meet supply needs;
- Making observations and taking measurements directly, as well as collecting and interpreting data from the other technical and operating staff involved;
- Assuming responsibility for environmental monitoring and ongoing performance of processes and process plant;
- Ensuring that all aspects of an operation or process meet specified regulations;
- Working closely with other specialists, including: scientists responsible for the quality control of raw materials, intermediates and finished products; engineers responsible for plant maintenance; commercial colleagues on product specifications and production schedules; and the operating crew.
SSR is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
- Registered Professional Engineer
- M.S. degree in Engineering and six or more years applicable experience in process engineering or a B.S. degree in Engineering and seven or more years applicable experience in process engineering.
- An ability to work with others and within a design team environment.
- LEED Certification preferred
- Renewable energy systems & net zero experience a plus
Smith Seckman Reid - 20 months ago