McKean Defense Group, LLC is a privately held Naval Life Cycle Management, Engineering, Enterprise Transformation and Program Management business headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. McKean’s engineers, developers, technical staff, programmers, analysts, and program managers identify and deploy new shipboard technologies, integrate information technology across shipboard platforms, and develop strategies to support the Warfighter. McKean’s employees create strategic solutions to help customers reach new levels of mission support and transform their organizations.
McKean Defense Group has an opening for a Process Improvement Specialist in Washington, DC in support of the United States Navy’s efforts to include research and development, new designs, construction, conversions, modernizations, and fleet support of all surface ships. The ideal candidate brings a passion for managing strategic programs and process improvement critical to ensuring the defense of the nation with a track record of rapid, effective execution of initiatives providing significant value to the Navy. An understanding of the Navy’s operating environment and strategic priorities is necessary to succeed in this position.
Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) has technical responsibility for naval architecture, engineering, ship design project management, ship design team and site support, technical library management, in service technical support and related engineering disciplines. NAVSEA and its various program offices are charting the way forward for complete life cycle solutions and integrating technical guidance to achieve strategic program priorities, and focusing on realigning efforts to support the long-haul sustainment of the non-nuclear surface force to ensure ships can meet and/or exceed their expected service life (ESL).
This position requires regular, direct, point-to-point client interface, excellent client-relationship development and management skills, and an outstanding ability to simultaneously manage multiple high visibility efforts, respond to emerging issues, and guide the clients to foresee, pursue, and achieve strategically significant results.
The Process Improvement Specialist will:
- Support the execution of each the above high-visibility NAVSEA responsibilities as detailed in the above position description; This will often require interface at the O-5, O-6, O-7, and above military levels and regularly with senior government civilians;
- Develop strategies and action plans and ensure milestone conformance and quality of product; provide significant process improvement mapping for as-is and to-be processes for complex Navy technical processes
- Implement and execute governance processes;
- Regularly conduct stakeholder analyses and routinely engage in change management efforts;
- Support crisis management, rapidly obtain information from a variety of organizations to prepare Flag level briefings; crisis management briefings will often be provided to the 3 and 4 Star level;
- Develop relationships and interface with the Fleet, waterfront supporting organizations, NAVSEA Field Activities, and other program offices within the Washington metro area;
- Account for overarching Navy-wide directives, maintain the critical balance between cost reduction/cost avoidance over the long term, full life-span of the Class/Ship/Platform;
- Assist in planning and leading both working level and executive level conferences, working group meetings, and agenda development to ensure issue resolution and action completion;
- Other client and corporate tasking as directed/required
- Significant process improvement experience in DOD and/or DON technical environment
- Excellent communication skills (written, oral, and presentation) are required
- Must be comfortable briefing large audiences up to senior level staff Navy/GOVT leaders
- Sustained willingness to regularly work challenging projects in a demanding environment
- Ability to rapidly understand complex organizations, policies, processes, and balance competing stakeholder interests with a focus on improving mission readiness
- Demonstrated experience working in teams and independently; must exercise diplomatic tact
- BA/BS in Business, Engineering, Government, Political Science or related field
- MBA or relevant Graduate Degree (MA/MS) preferred
- Expertise/proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically MS Project, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, MS Word, and MS Outlook
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
- Must have 2-5 years of professional experience required, 2 or more years supporting DOD and/or DON in a professional environment as a contractor and/or GOVT civilian preferred.
- Direct client-facing contracting and/or consulting experience is required; experience with senior level DOD and/or DON military and/or GOVT leadership is highly desirable.
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of DOD, DON, NAVSEA, and the surface force environment to succeed in this position.
- Must have experience in process improvement mapping of as-is and to-be processes in technical environments to drive both near term and long-term strategic improvement
- Must have the ability to rapidly adapt to shifting requirements; multi-tasking is necessary.
- Must have experience working in politically dynamic/charged environment
MCKEAN DEFENSE GROUP, LLC - 14 months ago