1. Review and update heat treatment, and cleaning equipment specifications to insure that new equipment meets business requirements (utilizes standard components, maintainable, cost effective, flexible, easy to use, supports integration with controls and business systems infrastructure).
2. Continuously improve quality, cost, responsiveness, and safety.
3. Solve/assist operational problems with heat treatment.
4. Review equipment quotes, prints, and approval drawings to insure adherence to specifications and process requirements.
5. Participate in equipment run-offs to insure proper system function.
6. Provide operator training and production support for heat treatment and related processes.
7. Support the training of skilled trades resources responsible for servicing heat treat and related systems.
8. Provide specialized training in carburizing and nitriding heat treatment of gears, shafts and other highly stressed transmission parts.
9. Analyze metallurgical lab results and adjust or correct heat treatment and welding processes to assure quality conformance.
10. Develop and maintain heat treatment and process routings and process settings (recipes) for manufactured parts.
Bachelor Degree in Material Science Engineering and Metallurgical Engineering required.
1. Minimum of 10 years process experience in heat treatment of highly stressed components by carburizing and nitriding heat treatment process required.
2. Practical floor support experience in carburizing and hardening of commercial case hardening steels required.
3. General understanding of manufacturing processes and machining required.
4. Strong computer skills with emphasis on data base development required.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
6. Ability to work in cross-funtional team environment required.
7. Metallurgy lab analysis experience in a production heat treat environment required.
8. Carburize process experience is critical. The process metallurgist must be able to establish carburizing process parameters, troubleshoot microstructure issues, understand the furnace equipment interactions with carburize part quality, and make equipment adjustments to maintain part quality required.
1. Knowledge of best practices in automotive or equipment manufacturing preferred.
2. Project Management skills and experience involving complex projects preferred.
3. Excellent problem solving and resolution skills preferred.
4. Ability to multi-task, while producing quality work preferred.
5. Self-motivated / Self-starter preferred.
6. Experience in gear manufacturing and gear inspection a plus preferred.
7. Atmosphere furnace operation knowledge – Process metallurgist must have a working knowledge of the carburizing atmosphere reactions and what needs to be done to produce an acceptable shallow case depth microstructure. Must be familiar with dew point controllers, oxygen probe controllers, gas analyzers, and computer based process controllers preferred.
8. Lab Analysis Experience – Process metallurgist must have an operating knowledge of steel microstructures, metallographic techniques, cause/effect knowledge of processing issues that contribute to marginal microstructure characteristics preferred.
9. Machining microstructure knowledge – Process metallurgist should have a working knowledge of steel microstructures as they relate to machining preferred.
Allison Transmission, Inc. - 16 months ago