San Diego Role synopsis The Process Modeling Engineer is responsible for oversight and/or development of bioprocess models. The Process Modeling Engineer will provide mass and energy balances, techno-economic analysis, dynamic simulation, design and engineering insight to biofuels research, technology development and scale up efforts.
Reports to Process Integration and Process Modelling Technology Manager. Key accountabilities • Develop, own and maintain LC biofuels dynamic and steady state flow sheet models for LC biofuels process.
At BP Alternative Energy we're investing in new ways of providing energy - from innovative new solar and wind businesses to advanced biofuels and clean energy technologies such as the capture and storage of carbon dioxide from traditional fossil fuels. These will provide customers with clean, secure energy - and they will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
- Provide mass and energy analysis, dynamic simulation, engineering design and control studies for LC biofuels research, technology development and commercialization.
- Support the overall LC process models and Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) analysis. Essential Education • MS or PhD with 4+ years’ experience in bioprocess development with a strong emphasis on modeling, simulation and computational capability. Essential experience and job requirements • Bioprocessing experience with strong computational ability.
- Expertise in steady state flow sheet modeling and process dynamic simulation.
- Expertise in bioprocess technology development.
- Familiar with scale-up design and criteria.
- Familiar with fermentation plant operations.
- Understanding of kinetics modeling, mixing and hydrodynamics modeling.
- Good communication skills, the drive to deliver results, and the ability to work within a team.
- The ability to promote HSSE at work and in dealing with other business partners.
- Self-starter with tenacity to support strong delivery.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands and work successfully in a fast-paced and at times ambiguous environment.
- Project and program management skills.
- Strong influencing skills including the ability to work within a matrix organization; successfully work with Senior Leaders and other cross-functional groups including operations and project teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly establish personal credibility with colleagues and associates.
- Ability to perform successfully in an ambiguous environment.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities. Other essential skills and knowledge Biofuels Capabilities:
- Value Creator: Focuses their energy on the actions that will add the greatest value to Biofuels, showing initiative, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Seeks to exceed expectations and look beyond the tried and tested to solve problems.
- People Developer: Works to achieve own and others’ potential. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term delivery with the longer-term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business.
- Great Partner: Builds strong and enduring relationships across and outside the business. Collaborates effectively at all levels, recognising the value of those with different expertise and from different backgrounds.
- Operational Expertise: Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations. Desirable criteria & qualifications • Experience with biofuels preferred, including synthesis and metabolics of sugars, fermentation, and enzymology, etc.
- English language proficiency.
- Ability to read and write in Portuguese. Relocation available Yes - Domestic (In country) only Travel required Yes - up to 25% Is this a part time position? No About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
In Biofuels, our business in conventional products such as bio-ethanol is already substantial, accounting for about 10% of the world market. However, as well as providing today's biofuels, we're also developing tomorrow's. We are investing $500 million over 10 years in the Energy Biosciences Institute to explore options for advanced biofuels and other applications of biotechnology to energy.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. BP is an equal opportunity employer. Segment Alternative Energy Removal Time 23:59 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) Removal Date 06-Dec-2012
BP - 15 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...