Performs a variety of skilled and semi skilled technical and labor duties in the operation and maintenance of the City's water and wastewater treatment plants. The selected candidates may be hired as a Process Operator I or II, depending on the individuals qualifications.
- Perform assigned treatment plant rounds by inspecting, monitoring and documenting plant operations by reading and interpreting information provided by the SCADA system and other instrumentation.
- Operate, adjust, and maintain all pumps, valves, motors and other equipment required to maintain appropriate operations; backwash filters as needed; receive and unload chemical deliveries.
- Maintain, compile and update plant operations logs and reports; perform and record mathematical calculations related to plant operational activities.
- Collect samples; perform a variety of routine water quality laboratory tests; work closely with the laboratory on testing required.
- Perform general plant facility maintenance such as cleaning and repairing plant facilities as required.
- Respond to emergency alarms and calls as required.
- Operate assigned equipment and vehicles.
- Be a leader in the development of the safety culture of the department; ensure the adherence of safe work practices by operations and maintenance personnel; ensure compliance of Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Assist with snow removal as required.
Experience & Education:
Process Operator I: 6 months of experience performing water/wastewater treatment plant operation and maintenance duties. Possession of Water Class I certification with the State of Kansas within 18 months of employment.
Process Operator II : 2 years of experience performing water treatment plant operation and maintenance duties. Possession of Water Class II certification with the State of Kansas within 18 months of hire.
Education : High school diploma or GED, supplemented by specialized training in the natural sciences and water treatment plant operation and maintenance.
Process Operator I Salary Range : $29,178/yr. - $37,408/yr. DOQ
Process Operator II Salary Range : $30,832/yr. - $39,529/yr. DOQ
Hours : Full-time 40 hour week; Friday, Saturday and Sunday shift work, hours may be days or nights. Must be able to work holidays.
Must have a valid driver's license with a favorable driving record.
Background investigation, pre-employment physical and drug screen required.