Cable Manufacturing Process Technician
AFL Telecommunications is an industry leader in providing fiber optic products, engineering expertise and integrated services to the telecommunications industry. We manufacture, engineer, and install the fiber optic products and equipment that communications providers need to provide high-speed voice, video and data services to their customers. Our extensive experience in both design and application crosses all markets, from Telecommunications, Broadband and Wireless, to Electric Utility, OEM, Enterprise and Private Networks.
The Process Technician will be a member of the cable manufacturing team and will be dedicated to supporting, maintaining, and improving the performance of assigned production lines.
He/She will be capable of applying their technical skills and experience to become a process expert that is able to establish process setup parameters, train operators, conduct new product trials, maintain process tooling, and implement improvements.
The position will be assigned to the Cabling process area.
The position is located at our Duncan, SC manufacturing facility, which operates on a seven day, twenty-four hour schedule. To support operations, off-shift and weekend work will be required at times to meet project deadlines or support operational requirements.
The successful candidate must meet a majority of the knowledge, skills, competencies, and experience requirements outlined below.
- Provide daily process and quality support for assigned production lines to include the investigation of issues, the disposition of items with defects, and the initiation of corrective and preventative actions.
- Select, design, modify, and maintain tooling, fixtures, and equipment as needed to improve safety, quality, throughput, and productivity.
- Administer and maintain process setup documentation to insure that all products are manufactured to in accordance with product design requirements.
- Develop and maintain training documentation related to the operation of the process. This would include procedures related to the execution of setups, tooling maintenance, and in process monitoring.
- Provide training to operators as required to insure that process procedures are well comprehended and followed.
- Provide hands-on engineering support for new product industrialization and initial production runs insuring that the process is capable of safely producing high quality product that meets specification, productivity, and cost targets. This would typically include specifying and documenting process parameters and tooling.
- Interact with customers on technical and quality related topics or issues. Support efforts to resolve customer complaints attributed the process.
- Work with internal and external suppliers of materials, equipment, and services to execute projects, resolve problems, and improve processes.
- Improve housekeeping and safety by applying the 5S principles and participating in audit programs.
- Support business plan objectives to increase productivity, reduce waste, improve quality, and enhance safety.
- Participate, and support cross-functional project teams as assigned to achieve required objectives on time and on budget.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Dependable and reliable professional that is a self-starter with integrity and confidence who strives to achieve even the most challenging objectives with limited supervision.
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal skills that is comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, cross-functional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Results-oriented professional that is comfortable in a challenging professional environment where complex problem solving is required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to:
- Develop clear and concise written work instructions and procedures.
- Convey process issues and problem with enough detail and clarity to insure understanding by the engineering team.
- Develop and present technical information in meetings to share findings, seek assistance, or gain commitment for proposed solutions.
- Convey complex issues in simple terms to all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical, time management and technical writing skills.
- Strong in math, geometry, and algebra including dimensional conversions and the calculation of volumes, areas, and ratios.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with the ability to:
- Use precision measurement devices such as micrometers and calipers.
- Disassemble/assemble complex tooling assemblies by:
- Using proper tools and techniques
- Using marking techniques for reassembly
- Understanding machine fit tolerances
- Read/comprehend mechanical drawings and understand: dimensions, tolerances, surface finishes, and assembly relationships.
- Solid understanding of basic electrical circuits and machine controls.
- Able to methodically apply data analysis, logic, and reasoning to solve process problems.
- Fundamental understanding of factory operations including safety, quality, production, and cost controls.
- Basic understanding of Environment Health and Safety (EHS) management systems to include: general safety rules, personal protective equipment, hazard recognition, behavioral based safety, incident reporting requirements, and environmental regulations.
- General understanding of quality management systems including current ISO 9001 standard.
- Basic understanding of plant accounting to include bill-of-materials costing, inventory valuation, consumable expenses, and MRP.
- Practical understanding of lean manufacturing principles to include: 5S, team improvement and empowerment, SMED, value-added analysis, TPM, waste identification and elimination, and skill versatility / cross training.
- User of Oracle R12 or similar manufacturing related modules with a fundamental understanding of work-in-process/inventory management and control, cycle counting processes, material planning methods and production related transactions (issue materials, move transactions, etc.).
- Intermediate or higher user of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as Minitab.
- Associate degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology or equivalent. Those currently enrolled will also be considered, but must be willing and able to work full-time while attending school. Education tuition assistance will be considered.
- Manufacturing experience (1–5 years) as a production operator/team leader or maintenance/process technician is a plus. Those candidates with extensive manufacturing backgrounds will be considered even if they lack the degree requirement; however, they must be willing and able to complete a supplemental education program.
- Able to support off-shift and/or weekend operations with minimal notice.
Apply To This Job
AFL Telecommunications LLC - 11 months ago