The Cooper River Plant is located about 15 miles north of Charleston, South Carolina, and is home to one of the world's largest single purified terephthalic acid (PTA) units. PTA is the preferred intermediate used in the manufacture of polyester resin for fibers, films, and packaging. The plant has two production units (which combine to manufacture approximately 1.2 million tons of PTA per year) and associated shipping, utility and waste treatment facilities. The Cooper River Plant and its employees strive to maintain the facility's reputation as a responsible neighbor.
Process Technicians monitor, regulate, and operate complex chemical process equipment to produce Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) in a safe, environmentally sound and efficient manner. The life of a process technician must be flexible since he/she will work rotating shifts in all types of weather.
Our training program is a regsitered apprenticeship with the Department of Labor.
• Prepare equipment for cleaning and return to service
• Perform minor maintenance work
• Troubleshoot & understand safe design & permit limits
• Start up, operate & shutdown the process unit in accordance with established procedures
• Make necessary adjustments to equipment & process to ensure safe & optimum operation of the unit
• Monitor the DCS system & proactively respond & manage process alarms
• Work with Maintenance to troubleshoot & repair equipment & instrumentation
• Perform TPM activities in accordance with training & procedures
• Collect samples using proper PPE & sampling methods
• Safely perform & verify energy isolations for equipment, vessels & piping
• Take temperature & vibration readings on equipment
• Complete long term and day to day goals and tasks
• Manage time and resources effectively
• Solve problems and overcome obstacles while completing work related tasks
• Work effectively on diverse teams
• Communicate with all levels within the team and external business partners
• Demonstrate and transfer work knowledge to others
• Maintain accurate records
• A minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent
Essential experience and job requirements
• Legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than your current employer
• A passing score on pre-employment tests, including mechanical aptitude, reading & mathematics
• The ability to read & follow unit operation instructions
• The ability to follow detailed safety procedures
• The ability to routinely work in confined spaces for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation
• The ability to routinely climb stairs & ladders that can exceed 200 feet in total span w/break decks with or without reasonable accommodation
• The ability to lift & carry heavy objects such as fire extinguishers with or without reasonable accommodation
• The ability to open & close large valves with or without reasonable accommodation
• The ability to put on respirators or other important safety equipment with or without reasonable accommodation
• The willingness & ability to be on call and work 12-hour rotating shift schedules including nights, weekends, holidays & mandatory overtime
• The willingness & ability to relocate to or commute on a daily basis to the BP Cooper River Plant without company assistance
• The willingness & ability to work in all weather conditions
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Experience working in an industrial or military environment
• Experience working with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Experience responding to industrial emergencies
• Experience with basic chemistry and physics
• Experience troubleshooting equipment
Is this a part time position?
Selection information for candidates
All communications will be sent by e-mail, therefore, please check your e-mail account regularly. Following is a tentative timeline of selection process events. Invitations to these events will be sent via email:
- Pre-Testing Workshop (Optional)
- On-site Assessment
and if an offer is extended:
- Post Offer/Pre-Placement
- New Hire Orientation & Training
Our Training program is a registered apprenticeship with the Department of Labor.
We anticipate the successful candidates will begin employment in November, 2013.
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed, and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Petrochemicals SPU is made up of a series of winning businesses including the global Aromatics and Acetyls Business and Asia Olefins & Derivatives. With manufacturing, technology, and commercial locations worldwide, the Petrochemicals SPU is a great opportunity to work with a diverse team of committed people.
The businesses produce 3 key products: Acetic acid, Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) and Paraxylene (PX). These products are used to meet the growing needs of world for packaging, garments, furnishings, detergents, paints, and adhesives. The success of our business requires deploying best in class proprietary technology, having best in class manufacturing, and delivering commercial excellence for all of our product lines.
The Aromatics Americas BU focuses on the production and sale of PX, PTA, and Naptha Dicarboxylate Acid (NDC). Our manufacturing assets are located in Decatur, AL, Cooper River, SC, and Texas City, TX and are integrated with one of the nation’s largest refineries. The technology and commercial center in Naperville, IL, is the home of our sales, logistics, and commercial teams.
If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug and alcohol screening as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
BP is an equal opportunity employer
Refining & Marketing
BP - 14 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...