This position will ensure the development of new processes and improvements to existing production processes for existing and new products for the businesses the teams will serve. The incumbent will lead teams of technical professionals in the provision of process support, process development and process research services initially mainly to the EPS business (and to lesser extent BERI and Versatics).
- Responsible for the adaptation of existing processes or the development of new processes for new products
- Generates new process options, investigates these and proposes these to the businesses
- Provides Process Technology input to business strategies
- Accountable for all process technology efforts undertaken within, and services provided by, the team with close view on overall professionalism and quality
- Dependable, but independent, partner for regional business leadership and in fields of strength for global leadership (joint with Duisburg counterpart) and acts with confidence when representing PT&D in decision making forums
- Manages the global PT&D project portfolio for EPS with Duisburg counterpart and balances workload for own team as US/EU teams have split responsibility along lines of process.
- As senior member of PT&D leadership shares responsibility for overall effectiveness and development of the global function.
- Translates business requirements for support and service into actionable work plans for staff; ensure effective overall utilization of resources in an environment where dynamic prioritization is common
- Actively identifies and resolves resource and planning conflicts and manages such conflicts when resolution is not possible, and shields own staff from areas of conflict and priority confusion
- Establishes effective relationships and rapport with, mainly US-based, stakeholders in Mfg, Business and Product R&D in order to maintain constructive cooperation when resource constraints hinder meeting expectations from all stakeholders.
- Leads a strong technical team, with diverse skills/competencies, in the provision of high quality services to a broad group of stakeholders with potentially differing/conflicting goals and priorities.
- Develops own staff and organization within the boundaries of the global PT&D structure
- Continually considers and actively proposes and pursues improvement of staff and department
- Actively coaches own staff to maintain outward view on emerging technologies.
- Fosters innovation and actively stimulate creativity.
- Ensures full compliance with all internal guidelines in fields of EHS, internal controls in all activities/facilities under his responsibility
- Builds/maintains external relationships with potential partners in process R&D in academia.
Exhibits strong personal courage to lead organization in development of new, non-conventional, process options. Acts as the catalyst in and advocate for ongoing improvements and change well beyond linearly extrapolated increments. Develops effective, value-adding relationships with Leaders, Peers and Direct Reports Actively fosters diversity in ideas and contribution with emphasis on personal responsibility and empowerment. Strategic Focus and Direction
Strong understanding of business environments and dynamics Actively contributes to and shapes strategies. Translates combination of business strategies into overall functional vision and direction and into actionable plans for team. Strong advocate for addressing fundamental strategic issues and shortcomings. Achieves Business Results
Focuses organization on value creation, actively empowering others to develop and excel. Balances short/long term needs and actively forces organization (outside his own) to invest in long term, sustainable competitive technologies. Strong skills in Project Management and ability to transfer these to own staff.
- Chemical Engineering degree with 10+ years experience in Process technology, Research & Development; experience in MF operations is considered an advantage; solid background required in aspects of process design and development.
- Experience with batch processing for specialty chemicals (dispersions, batch polymers etc)
- Experience in epoxy resins is a plus but not requirement
- Demonstrated skills / experience in leadership, people management. Minimum of 5 years experience in leading team(s) of professionals (with full direct people responsibility) and demonstrable track of having dealt with most of HR aspects in such roles.
- Track record of experience with project management and demonstrable result-driven focus.
- Excellent communication skills
- Critical thinker that can inspire own staff to do the same
- Stress resistant
- Past exposure to 6-Sigma methodology is advantage but not required
- Experience with Intellectual Property aspects
- Ability to inspire, motivate and lead a diverse group of creative technical professionals in their activities.
- Ability to balance need for shifting priorities versus need for stability and continuity in result generation.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through momentive.com, be at least 18 years of age, willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
Candidates are required to have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
If currently a Momentive employee, you must have current satisfactory work performance and in most cases, have been in your current role 18 months.