Works under general supervision of the Specimen Processing management team to learn the proper handling of specimens received at ARUP's central facility and prepares specimens for laboratory testing. The position includes such functions as communicating closely with Specimen Processors and ASM Technicians, matching patient information if needed, and picking up and delivering specimens in a timely manner.
This position reports to the Specimen Processing Supervisor(s). In their absence this position reports to the appropriate Lead and or Work Flow Coordinator.
1. Routinely pick-up specimens of different temperatures.
2. Immediately deliver specimens to the Automated Specimen Management (ASM) area as they become available from the Specimen Processing workstations.
3. Properly handle ambient, refrigerated, and frozen specimens
- Is familiar and able to recognize all specimen types
- Properly documents temperature and other required information regarding pick-up and delivery times.
4. Enables Processing Technicians to place specimens in the appropriate Pick-up bin and delivers them to the Automated Specimen Management for sorting.
5. Understand ESP Accessioning, and Inquiry.
6. Understands ARUP’s Test Directory viewing applications.
7. Understands the departmental applications within ARUP’s LIS software and required functions.
8. Assist in organizing or delivery of boxes/work to the appropriate processing workstations.
1. Reads and signs the Specimen Processing Procedure Manual and Safety Manual.
2. Attends the Specimen Processing staff meetings.
3. Adheres to all ARUP and Specimen Processing procedures and policies.
4. Checks with Supervisor or Lead before making judgment decisions.
5. Performs cleaning duties as assigned.
6. Adheres to all safety policies and regulations including, but not limited to, proper dress code, protective clothing, and safety glasses.
7. Management has the discretion to change any duties as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent
Physical and other requirements
- One year of laboratory experience
§ Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to work all required overtime
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
Posting is for a 7/7 work week excluding Sunday. (i.e. A Week, working Tuesday-Saturday and Monday)
- Fine motor coordination
- Good visual acuity including color perception
- Must be able to walk long distances for an entire shift
- Must have excellent follow-through
- Ability to organize work, meet deadlines, and work under stressful conditions
- Absolute integrity in the accurate processing and handling of samples