Works under direct supervision to learn the proper handling of all specimens received at ARUP's central facility and prepares specimens for laboratory testing. The position includes such functions as matching patient information, data entry, aliquoting, and scanning documents.
This position reports to the Specimen Processing Supervisor(s). In their absence this position reports to the appropriate Lead, Work Flow Coordinator, or Night and Evening Operations Managers.
1. Assigned to a team upon successful completion of Specimen Processing training.
2. Immediately processes specimens as they become available.
3. Labels specimens and requisitions appropriately.
- Use ESP whenever possible to enter patient demographics and process specimens/orders
- Order all tests indicated on the requisition
- Process all manual and electronically transmitted tests on submitted paperwork
- Properly comments any additional information on the requisition/packing list
- Look for any problems and order EXCEPT tests as necessary
4. Places processed specimens on the automated track or holds at appropriate temperature for Automated Specimen Management manual sorting.
- Properly handles ambient, refrigerated, and frozen specimens
- Able to recognize all specimen types
- Properly documents specimen types, number received, temperature, and initial or stamp on all paperwork
- Compares the name and other identifiers on the ARUP label, paperwork, and client label on the specimen. Verify all names/identifiers match
- Properly labels each requisition and all accompanying specimens
- Properly handles specimens requiring a Reroute or to be shared
- Writes prompt information on appropriate specimen label(s)
- Labels appropriate aliquot tube(s) for splitting
5. Able to process specimens at all three temperatures and follow the appropriate procedures for all manual and electronically transmitted orders.
6. Understands and operates the Document Management System (IMS).
7. Properly operates the biological safety cabinet.
8. Is skilled in the following ESP functions: Accessioning, Inquiry, and Shipment Tracking.
9. Is skilled in all ANSR applications related to accessioning and client inquiries.
10. Is skilled in all current departmental LIS applications and functions.
11. Aliquots specimens according to procedure using the proper safety equipment.
12. Remains informed of all procedure changes pertaining to specimen processing.
13. Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of testing and in interactions with patients, co-workers and other health care professionals.
1. Reads and signs the Specimen Processing Procedure Manual and Safety Manual.
2. Attends the Specimen Processing team and staff meetings.
3. Adheres to all ARUP and Specimen Processing guidelines, policies, and procedures.
4. Checks with Supervisor or Lead before making judgment decisions.
5. Performs cleaning duties as assigned.
6. Adheres to all safety policies and regulations including, but not limited to, proper dress code and using proper protective clothing and other equipment.
7. Management has the discretion to change any duties as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be able to type 30 WPM
Physical and other requirements
- One year of data entry experience.
- One year of laboratory experience
§ Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal (reasonable accommodations will be made for hearing impaired employees)
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to work all required overtime
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
During the training period, ranging from 4-8 weeks, schedules and days off are not flexible. After the completion of training, shift and days off will be assigned based on the department's operational needs. ARUP Laboratories is open 365 days a year, including holidays.
- Fine motor coordination
- Good visual acuity including color perception
- Must have excellent follow-through and seek guidance or clarification when needed
- Ability to organize work, meet deadlines, and work under stressful conditions
- Absolute integrity in the accurate processing and handling of specimens and dealings with other ARUP employees
- Abide by the 5 Pillars of ARUP Culture
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands...