LIVE, WORK AND PLAY!
Chelan County PUD is located in the geographical center of Washington State at the confluence of the Columbia and Wenatchee rivers. A public power leader, the complex and progressive nature of PUD operations offer a unique mix of challenges and opportunities.
Chelan PUD provides hydro and wind power generation; water and wastewater services; wholesale fiber optic voice, data, and television capabilities; and an extensive array of parks and recreation facilities along the Columbia River.
While renewable hydro energy remains at the heart of our business, we're expanding into other renewable solar and wind power, and are very involved in climate change issues. We're exploring exciting ways of generating renewable energy while remaining committed to prudent energy and water conservation programs.
Rated by National Geographic as one of the top 10 mountain towns in the U.S., Wenatchee is a recreational paradise with an abundance of adventure. The natural beauty of the Wenatchee Valley provides a vivid backdrop to its thriving economy, where the quality of life is high and the climate is moderate with four distinct seasons, including about 300 days of sunshine!
We are a small town to some and big city to others. We invest in our children and believe that education is the key to our future success.
We live a life of abundant choices and enjoy water sports on the Wenatchee and Columbia rivers, hiking, biking, rock climbing and unlimited golfing. Downhill and cross-country skiing are just minutes away. The area is also known for producing quality wines.
Consider Chelan PUD as a career choice today! The community is waiting for you.
If applying for this position, a RESUME and COVER LETTER will be required summarizing related experience, including in a direct supervisor or lead role.
To expedite the application process, combine your cover letter and resume into one WORD or PDF document and upload when requested through the online application process.
In addition to a competitive salary range of $70,000 - high $80,000's (based on qualifications, skills and abilities), Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year. Relocation assistance is available.
Responsible for the direction and supervision of the District’s purchasing and contract services staff and functions. Provides oversight of the purchasing and contracting of materials and services required to support the operations, maintenance and construction activities of the District in compliance with State regulations and District policies. Responsible for the overall efficiency and continuous improvement of the District’s procurement processes. Responsible for mentoring, training, professional development and evaluation of purchasing and contract services staff in order to meet individual and organizational goals established. Provide input to the Supply Chain & Fleet Manager, and oversight for the department budget. Coach and lead by example the concepts of accountability, teamwork, outstanding customer service, and continuous improvement.
JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions (EF) are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position. Secondary functions (SF) are activities not fundamental to the job and may need to be relaxed to accommodate an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability.
1. EF 55% Lead, mentor, train, develop, and evaluate purchasing and contracting staff to meet individual and organizational goals. Perform secondary reviews of contracts and bid documents to ensure quality, completeness, and compliance with statutory and internal requirements. Coach and lead by example the concepts of accountability, teamwork, outstanding customer service, and continuous improvement.
2. EF 10% Evaluate, recommend, and implement process changes to improve the overall efficiency and otherwise support the continuous improvement of the District’s procurement processes.
3. EF 15% Develop contracts and assist with or advise staff on appropriate methods or procedures for complex procurements as needed.
4. EF 10% Responsible for developing and implementing (in cooperation with Legal Counsel and Internal Audit) procurement training programs both internally to department and externally to ensure all staff are knowledgeable on District procurement policies and procedures.
5. EF 5% Oversee disposal of surplus personal property and scrap materials in compliance with statutory and internal requirements.
6. EF 5% Provide input to the Supply Chain & Fleet Manager, and oversight for the department budget.
7. EF Ongoing Lead by example to promote professional, cooperative, customer friendly approaches in dealings with internal and external customers, and represents the District’s best interest in relationships with suppliers, contractors and manufacturers.
8. EF Ongoing Respond to internal and external audit inquiries. Manage the public information requests to ensure timely response. Respond to vendor inquiries. Provide activity reports as required by delegations of authority and ad hoc reports as requested. Responsible to ensure all statutorily required advertisements are published.
9. EF Ongoing Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
Directly supervises eight (8) employees in the Procurement & Contract Services (PCS) department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Bachelor's degree (B. S., B. A.) in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field from four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of six (6) years progressively responsible purchasing and contract management experience including at least two years in advanced individual contributor or lead role.
Specific KSA's: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Requires logical and conceptual thinking skills. Ability to work with customers and staff in a courteous, respectful and professional manner. Requires knowledge of efficient administrative procedures, ability to prioritize and organize tasks, elicit cooperation and coordinate efforts to accomplish tasks. Requires proficiency with Microsoft programs (Word, Excel and Outlook). Candidates with a working knowledge of Maximo and PeopleSoft systems are preferred. Requires the ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, take initiative, demonstrate flexibility, cooperation, accuracy and follow directions. Must work well independently in a high-level productive atmosphere and complete work in a timely manner. Requires ability to exercise judgment, confidentiality, and diplomacy in responding to executive staff, District Commissioners, attorneys, employees and the public.
Language Skills: Candidates must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual is required to have knowledge of PeopleSoft Timekeeping/HR, PeopleSoft Financials, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Maximo Order Processing, bid processing database, and bid workflow software. Must be able to operate general office equipment such as computers, printers, scanning equipment, fax and copy machines, phones and other District office equipment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or twist torso, or perform repetitive hand or arm motion. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; or pull, push or exert force. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or up to 50 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Chelan County Public Utility District - 30+ days ago