The purpose of this position is to provide technical support within one or more functional areas: Manufacturing, Research & Development, or Quality Assurance. The role provides a 10-12 week exposure to the critical aspects of a particular functional department during on-going operations. In all cases, project work is focused on real-time issues associated at the location, and on high-priority activities within that functional area.
The activities and duties are dependent on the functional area assignment and will vary year to year. However, the general duties and accountabilities include:
Research & Development
- Apply standard scientific techniques in the analysis of production lines from raw materials to finished packages to provide safe and efficient manufacturing systems that meet quality, food safety, environmental, and cost expectations.
- Continually improve the rates, efficiencies, yields, and costs of manufacturing systems. Be actively involved in the development and implementation of the long-term improvement programs.
- Initiate, implement, and cost justify capital equipment and system modifications to production lines in response to equipment performance and product quality issues.
- Maintain a high level of equipment reliability utilizing maintenance, engineering, and appropriate resources to resolve equipment availability issues.
- Help develop new products and improvements to existing products. Assure that product activities meet company cost capacity, quality, marketing and product development requirements.
- Improve and develop extensions to existing brands using laboratory bench top, vendor facilities and full scale manufacturing systems. Ability to go from bench top to full scale production, without test scale up, if necessary.
- Provide design and processing parameters inputs for new products, capacity improvements, and equipment design.
- Support the identification and solution of cost savings issues, product/packaging change issues, equipment modifications, manufacturability issues, etc., using appropriate scientific principles.
- Provide technical support to production for product modifications, process improvements, and process troubleshooting.
- Serve as a technical resource and team member in planning quality systems, procedures and methodologies to assure the quality characteristics for new and existing product lines.
- Work with Operations and R&D to plan, design, monitor and improve quality characteristic data (product and process data) measurement, test and feedback mechanisms. Conduct statistical analysis to facilitate data-driven decision making.
- Support and coordinate the internal audit activities of the manufacturing process which monitors quality and food safety systems.
- Function as an auditor on internal, supplier and co-manufacturer audit activities.
- Support cross-functional efforts on developing and maintaining incoming, production and laboratory testing procedures
Education: B.S. in Food Science anticipated within one year. Must have completed Junior level coursework.
Skills: Demonstrated problem-solving skills. Proven innovation and creativity. Ability to work effectively in team-based environment with multiple functional groups. Excellent communication skills. Ability to achieve results and execute multiple simultaneous projects. Experience using statistical methods and design of experiments.
MOM Brands - 17 months ago
MOM Brands (formerly Malt-O-Meal Company), a privately held and family owned company, is the third largest cereal company in the United...