At FuelQuest our mission is to be the preferred partner of companies dedicated to better controlling and managing their costs and margins by delivering value-based solutions and services complimented by world-class support. We are committed to deliver measurable value to our customers and to continually expand that value through improvements to our solutions and processes. These improvements are enabled by our highly motivated team of industry and solution experts collaborating in an environment of teamwork, empowerment and accountability.
We are currently seeking a Product Design Manager for our Houston, TX or Green Bay, WI office.
The Product Design department within FuelQuest, Inc. is primarily responsible for designing application changes and enhancements for all software products. The Product Design department has secondary responsibility for supporting sales and implementation efforts for all software products. The Product Design Manager (PDM) will be an integral element to the design and implementation of software products and functions as a senior analyst and designer for all ongoing tax automation projects as well as a project manager for implementing select tax automation projects. As a senior designer, the PDM will analyze tax forms, application interfaces, application modules and requests for application changes in order to create detailed specifications and functional designs. The analysis will include EDI guides, electronic tax filing specifications provided by government entities and other technical documentation provided by customers in order to create detailed specifications and functional designs. The Product Design Manager will report to the director of product design in this role.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supporting the tax product design team in achieving their product objectives.
- Possess a working understanding of how the existing and emerging tax products interact.
- Analyze tax forms and tax rates in order to create detailed specifications and functional designs.
- Collaborate with Quality Assurance team to help understand requirements and needed test cases.
- Develop detailed project plans and schedules; reviewing project plans within program framework.
- Support QA test efforts for quarterly and monthly releases in order to verify tax product accuracy.
- Understanding the technical implementation of the product, including the architecture and data model.
- Provide direction and leadership to assigned projects or programs including sub-projects and on occasion, individual project members; including scheduling, assignment of work and review of project efforts.
- Work with developers to ensure they understand design specifications so they may effectively build the product.
- Develop and maintain a productive and positive, working relationship with project /program sponsors, and key clients.
- Working with development to ensure they understand design specifications so they may effectively build the product.
- Working within the Product Design team to develop a conceptual model of the application by \\\"drafting the concept\\\" the proposed solution.
- Conduct project kickoff meetings, communicating individual roles and project/program expectations for both internal and external teams.
- Participate in the development of best practices, project standards, procedures, and quality objectives, including metrics for assessing progress.
- Review functional issues found in Tax Products and created detailed specifications and functional designs for required changes and / or enhancements.
- Conduct formal reviews with business sponsor(s) at project/program completion to confirm acceptance and satisfaction; track client satisfaction levels.
- Analyze EDI guides and other electronic tax filing specifications provided by government entities in order to create detailed specifications and functional designs.
- Provide required project status reporting, assess variances from the project plan, collect metrics,develop and implements changes as necessary to ensure that the project remains within specified scope and is within time, cost, and quality objectives.
- Monitor and audit project or program milestones and critical dates to identify potential jeopardy of project schedule and identifies ways to resolve schedule issues.
- Interacting with the Director of Product Design and the Senior Director of Product Design to understand processes, capture business requirements, and assist with designing a solution.
- Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Eagerness to contribute in a team-oriented environment.
- USA federal/state motor fuel excise tax experience a plus.
- Excellent task scheduling skills and goal-oriented mind-set.
- Identify project weakness gaps and develop resolution strategies.
- Knowledge of database management systems - SQL Server, Oracle.
- Experience implementing or using enterprise SaaS software applications.
- Ability to take initiative and own a problem or concept and drive to a solution.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Strong knowledge of database management systems (SQL Server, Oracle) is a requirement.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other staff members across all teams and to external clients.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex tax concepts to other staff members across all teams and to external clients.
- Demonstrated expertise in multistate motor fuel excise tax and sales/use tax determination/calculation in the USA.
- Experience with implementation, design/development, testing, or administration of complex software applications is a requirement.
- Ability to interface well with teams across the organization, including Technical Support, Professional Services, Sales, and Marketing.
- Excellent documentation skills - ability to explain complex tax requirements and scenarios from a functional and technical perspective; ability to assist design of tax application software features.
- Knowledge of the Motor Fuel Midstream and Downstream Market and Motor Fuel Tax Industry, a plus.
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project.
- 25% to 50% ability to travel required.
- 10+ years\\\' experience in software design / development / testing.
- Bachelor\\\'s degree in computer science, finance, accounting or related field preferred.
- Minimum of six years of project management experience with a software company or software company delivering software implementation services.