Business Unit: Ag Precision Formulators, Middleton WI
Reports to: Director of Chemical Formulations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Develops innovative solutions to defined product development needs. Provides novel pesticide, fertilizer, and tank mix adjuvant formulations for the United Supplier crop protection and nutrient divisions. The position requires a driven, self-disciplined individual with strong chemical background and a creative mindset. The position’s scope includes support for discovery, process and formulations development, manufacturing, commercialization and registration.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties :
- Develops quantitative and qualitative methods for investigating new products and formulations.
- Evaluates suitability of newly developed formulations through chemical, physical, and biological analyses.
- Interfaces with ingredient suppliers in order to enhance U.S. product portfolio.
- Leads in the development and collection of data and information to support product and differentiates chemistries within the United Suppliers portfolio.
- Applies analytical chemistry methods in order to solve customer problems in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Prepares necessary technical reports for internal and external distribution.
Additional responsibilities :
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Knows, understands and practices all aspects of United Suppliers Safety Policies including common laboratory safety and industrial hygiene operating procedures.
- Designs/directs/conducts product chemistry studies.
- Represents United Suppliers as a technical resource with various suppliers and manufacturers.
- Functions as chemical product and technology focal point (technical guardian) for multiple products and projects for operations, registration, and marketing.
- Interfaces with U.S. technical agronomist, adjuvant product manager, link series personnel in order to resolve product issues and technology transfer.
- Understands COG’s requirements for each development product and ensures that cost parameters are met.
- Keeps current on developing formulation technologies and relevant competitor products.
- Develops, monitors and tracks Research and Development projects.
Required Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understands agricultural crop protection chemistries, tankmix additives and nutritional formulation concepts.
- Works well in a team environment and is comfortable interacting with all levels of management.
- Delivers clear, concise and effective verbal and written communications to a targeted audience.
- Highly skilled at detail and completeness of all information.
- Effective organizational skills; prioritizes and plans work activities with the ability to quickly respond to internal and external customer’s needs.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Participates in professional activities.
- Reacts well under pressure and commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Treats others with respect, courtesy and consideration.
Education and/or Experience – Minimum of Master of Science degree (MS) from accredited College or University, majoring in chemistry or closely aligned field, with 3-5 years related experience; Experience and strong background in adjuvant technologies, crop protection formulations, and manufacturing.
Language Skills - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches, reports, business correspondence, and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, clients, boards of directors and/or the general public.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills - knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft office products, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point, and Internet Explorer.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations – Valid state Driver's License.
Other Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications - Must be able to travel 20% of the time or as required.
United Suppliers, founded in 1963, is a wholesale organization based in the rural community of Eldora, Iowa. We are owned by agricultural...