BRENCO, producer of tapered roller bearings for the railroad industry has an immediate need for a Product Development Engineer. Brenco is part of larger company - Amsted Rail. ASF-Keystone, Brenco and Griffin Wheel, offer quality solutions that combine castings, bearings and wheels from all three of the Amsted rail divisions, providing some 90% of your freight car undercarriage requirements from one reliable source.
The Product Development Engineer reports directly to the Director of Engineering, Bearings. The individual is responsible for providing project management for new product introductions and improvements to existing product as assigned. Included in scope are design support, project planning, project oversight, and the verification of production documentation.
- Provide project planning, product implementation oversight, documentation and design reviews for product development projects.
- Develop new or revised product designs as assigned to meet the needs of customers and the industry as a whole.
- Provide continuous improvement of existing products and development of manufacturing processes for new products.
- Focus on differentiating new designs from the competition while considering cost reductions.
- Create, maintain, and/or verify accuracy of all technical and production documentation for assigned projects.
- Lead multifunctional teams to develop designs that provide improved manufacturability, reduced cost, and elimination of wasteful processes.
- Provide design support to other departments involved with the test and manufacture of products.
- Maintain open and effective communications with management, related engineering departments, manufacturing departments, operational management, vendors, and most importantly, customers.
- Maintain a high level of personal and professional knowledge of product development and manufacturing methods, engineering standards, and product or process innovations.
- Develop designs by utilizing Performance Engineering employees and test equipment.
- Provide support of Association of American Railroads (AAR) testing – both in-house and in the field.
- Ability to provide technical writing of reports and computations. Skilled in writing capital justifications for new equipment, tooling, and process modifications.
- Travel to customer locations to provide product support, training, and engineering presentations and also to other Amsted Rail divisions to provide a team approach to improve product performance while meeting changing customer requirements.
- Support of Sales and Marketing by providing presentations on new and improved products, models, and marketing materials.
Brenco/Amsted Rail has been changing lives and putting careers on the move for over 60 years. Come join a team where operational excellence, employee development and continuous improvement are key success factors. Brenco, located in Petersburg, Virginia, is the #1 US producer of tapered roller bearings in the railroad industry. Talented and motivated individuals will have the opportunity to do the best work of their lives with an established 60-year-old company.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or comparable experience.
- 3-5 years of previous product development engineering experience
- Ability to plan and coordinate new product implementations from concept to customer delivery.
- Ability to maintain open and effective communications with internal and external customers.
- Personal Computer skills, including experience with word processing, spreadsheet, Inventor, database, and presentation software. Experience with SAP, LabVIEW, and ANSYS finite element analysis software is a definite plus.
- Suggested experience in using design and engineering tools, including:
- Design Reviews
- Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Design for Manufacture
- Failure Modes and Effect Analyses (FMEA)
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) practices
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Inventor/3D modeling software
The recent increase in demand in business has created the need for highly motivated individuals who will have the opportunity to exercise a positive outlook on continuous improvement initiatives delivering operational excellence. Through competitive wages, outstanding benefits and internal advancement opportunities, you'll have the chance to create a career you can be proud of.
Some of the outstanding benefits include:
- Our retirement package that includes 5% match on 401k contributions
- Employee stock ownership program
- Medical insurance and an on-site medical clinic
- Our recreational park, Brenco Park, is a wonderful facility with a pool, fishing ponds, and basketball and tennis courts
- We are 100% employee-owned. Come to Brenco/Amsted Rail and join a proud family!
- 2 years ago - save job