The Product Development Engineer oversees special projects, such as complex grade developments, business analysis, KT analysis, capital projects, and competitive analyses. This position serves as mentor to other Engineers and uses teamwork to rapidly optimize and commercialize profitable, technical specialty products. The Product Development Engineer plans and performs technical project investigations of a complex nature covering laboratory, pilot, and mill areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Serve as advisor to customers and meet with them to define needs, answer questions, and promote Glatfelter papers
• Investigate and understand the details of customer product requirements and ensure that development efforts are focused on these specific needs
• Complete special assignments, such as capital budget projects, competitive analyses, business analyses, and serve on task forces
• Provide input on feasibility and profitability of projects to help in screening new product inquiries
• Utilize proper experimental techniques and procedures
• Qualify all new coatings for compliance with outstanding Environmental operating permits
• Serve as technical resource during commercial trials and prepare documents required to transition grades from Development status to Commercialized
• Work with Product Assurance to address customer complaints and concerns
• Use safe work practices in laboratory and Mill trials. Instruct technicians in safe work practices.
• Assume other duties as assigned
• Qualifications –
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions
- Ability to interpret technical instructions in verbal, mathematical, or diagram form.
- Strong planning capabilities and the skills to analyze and interpret data to make sound recommendations
- Strong customer focus (internally & externally)
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Demonstrates initiative and adaptability
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time and resource management skills
- MS Word, Excel, and Outlook experience required
• Education – Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Paper Science. Five to ten years of experience in a pulp and paper manufacturing or product development preferred.
Glatfelter - 20 months ago
P. H. Glatfelter Company (Glatfelter) is a manufacturer of specialty papers and fiber-based engineered products. It manufactures a range of...