We pride ourselves on combining intelligent, forward-thinking content with leading-edge technology and utterly intuitive design. We're rapidly evolving our website -- which draws millions of monthly users, as well as best-of-breed sponsors -- and are looking for an experienced, forward-thinking, deeply collaborative product development associate.
This role is central to TED's continued success, and we're looking for candidates who have developed industry-leading, delightfully intuitive, beautifully realized websites from concept to launch. You'll need to be versatile -- with experience on a range of sites/features (online video, data-driven content, community/collaboration tools, social media applications, data visualization) and comfortable with the tools of the trade (product specs, wireframes, etc).
Responsibilities: You'll work with all of TED's internal properties to collect and define priorities, set detailed milestones, and facilitate a collaborative team (blending design, development and subject-matter experts) to execute them. You'll play a key role in orchestrating development schedule / roadmap, managing time allocation of resources, and see through all tactical aspects of product delivery. As such, you'll need exceptional communication and organization skills; a collaborative approach; and the ability to absorb and build on our shared vision for what TED.com can become. We expect that you're passionate about web development/design, and well-versed in best practices; we also expect that you're a natural leader who can set direction, communicate clearly across disciplines, and enable a team to produce their best work.
Experience/qualifications: You'll need to be technologically fluent and current with at least 5 years of experience. You have managed multiple enterprise-level web projects before and have a good grasp of what is necessary to oversee the process in a lean, fast-paced way. You can accurately estimate tasks and time required for most smaller projects and are capable of communicating with engineers on code level daily.
The ideal candidate is:
Experience with hands-on web development is a plus. A passion for storytelling and a broad interest in the world -- including science/technology, design/architecture, global development, entertainment/arts -- are also big pluses. Also: We only hire extremely nice people.
- Comfortable in a start-up like environment, where everyone wears multiples hats and priorities regularly shift, to keep pace with rapid industry changes and organization growth
- Effortlessly collaborative, with an ability to communicate across disciplines, and pull inspiration and solutions from all departments of the organization
- Organized, self-sufficient, and utterly comfortable multi-tasking. You'll also need to work independently and efficiently without a large support staff
- Imaginative and inventive, but also rigorous: capable of fleshing out features and product specs to make sure all the puzzle pieces fit
- Experienced in creating a lightly structured product-development environment, with protocols for gathering requirements, creating specs, allocating resources; setting schedules; QA; beta testing, etc.
- Have natural intuition about user-centered design and well-versed in wire framing and storyboarding tools, as well as tools for understanding user behavior and quantifying success (traffic analysis, usability testing, etc)
- Practical about business concerns, and capable of balancing user needs with business priorities (Though decisions at TED are heavily weighted toward the former)
- Passionate about TED's content, and the prospect of creating a stronger platform to enable the exchange of ideas worldwide
This is a full-time role. This role reports to the Product Development Director.
Location: This role is based in TED's downtown New York Office. Telecommuting is not an option.
Compensation: We offer a competitive package, including full benefits.