Product Development and Wash Specialist
Facilitates and executes Design’s vision through sourcing brand appropriate fabric, trim and wash technique, delivering 3D visualization for all styles, trouble shooting material, price, and delivery issues while supporting design’s needs and business requirements. Collaborate with Brand Director on sourcing strategy and development blueprint. Supervise and promote the development of subordinates through supervision and training.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. (www.URBN.com; NASDAQ: URBN) is an innovative specialty retail company which offers a variety of lifestyle merchandise to highly defined customer niches. Urban Outfitters, Inc., is both a Fortune 1000 and S&P 500 ranked company with revenues of approximately $2.5 Billion.
Collaborate with Brand Director (BD) to develop monthly forecast by factory and annual mill strategy by provided operations calendar deadlines using brand goals and business initiatives as guidelines. Responsible to meet monthly forecast by factory and annual mill forecast measured by monthly book to date reconciliation.
Collaborate with BD to create category calendar. Required to manage and meet calendar deadlines measured by seasonal calendar actualization.
Attend Trend and Concept meeting to understand design intention and tone for the season. Collaborate with BD on category strategy outline based on Trend meeting.
Analyze and suggest necessary changes to merchant’s line plan and communicate expectations to the team. Responsible to improve adoption rates over specific time period and hit approved line plan style count measured by seasonal line plan actualization.
Create a strategy based on design’s vision, business needs and hindsight’s including outline of travel and other required resources and setting of blueprint for the Sample Room and Allocation Plan report.
RESEARCH & DESIGN
Develop and manage raw materials including;
Attend Sketch Review meeting and clarify important style aspects and strategize on how to deliver design vision at the required price point.
- Set and manage fabric and wash cost matrix back to line plan.
- Negotiate all fabric costs with Brand Director. Work with Brand Director on wash cost matrix.
- Allocate pre-style development.
- Request all fabric and wash development for Women’s and Men’s Denim and washed casual product; input all initial style cost targets and prepare final cost offers prior to wash review and finalization
- Conduct core fabric review with Brand Director and Production team to ensure team is properly positioned seasonally.
- Coordinate team to allow for;
- Research and development of all pre-style development including; pre-costing, fabrics, washes, mock-ups, drapes, tailoring bodies, trims and prints.
- Maintenance of pre-development WIP.
- One voice” communication to vendors.
- Coordination (including tracking) and review with design physical pre-style packages.
- Order/issue non-merch POs for sample yardage and is responsible for time and action (T&A) management.
- Maintenance of physical wash library.
- Responsible for all product testing requirements, compliance and internal standards.
- Data integrity of fabric folders, fabric recaps and pre-costing recaps.
Coordinate team to allow for use of in house tools and local resources to clarify and define the product by selecting the appropriate channels per style for 3D visualization and collaborate with design to cost engineer styles to provide smart alternatives. Measured by percent approved at order placement at hand over.
Coordinate with design and tech team to make sure all necessary components are included in physical pre-style packages at style set-up.
Present to BD all pre-style and style development and to identify opportunities for corporate fabrics during Final Allocation review meeting.
Coordinate and facilitate team to deliver aesthetically correct samples that meet design vision.
Coordinates management of sample invoices.
Facilitate team to manage T&A proto tracking, physical sample management, management of fabric information, e.g. minimums, lead-times.
Work with Production team to facilitate bulk fabric commitments.
Attend Final Product Review meeting to determine which styles will be bought. Responsible to communicate costing (including options) and minimums based on collaboration with PDTD. Responsible to calculate and manage style-out IMUs.
Collaborate with team and BD as needed to provide final allocation to merchants once intent to buy has been communicated from merchants. Responsible to update any restyles/costing or delivery changes.
Transition responsibility for in-work styles from the front-end to the back-end during PD handover meeting. Including IMU roll, development, status, and production concerns.
- Strong knowledge base in raw materials, garment construction and wash techniques.
- Prioritize and delegate effectively.
- Work in/with cross-functional teams.
- Supervise subordinates’ responsibilities to ensure accomplishment of department goals and deadlines.
- Promote the development of subordinates through supervision and training.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external parties.
- Pro-actively approach problem solving.
- Implement operational efficiencies.
- Adapt quickly to changes.
- Analyze data at a high level.
- Proficient in Microsoft’s Excel and a PLM system. WebPDM experience a plus.
- Driven by deadlines with a high sense of urgency.
- Possess extensive knowledge of garment construction, global raw material procurement, and manufacturing.
- 6 plus years of experience in an apparel product development role.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. is a lifestyle specialty retail company that operates under the Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People and...