Posting Title Sr. Product Manager, ESX Core Platform About Us VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and mid-market customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. We enable people and organizations by radically simplifying IT through software virtualization with a focus on three core missions: End-User Computing (EUC), Hybrid Cloud and Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC).Join our community – instigators of innovation and transformers of technology – as we envision and create what’s next in IT. Get connected to an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are passionately driven to make an impact while contributing back to the community. Learn more at vmware.com/careers today! Why work for our Division Product Managers are the CEOs of their products and are responsible for defining, prioritizing, planning and driving the execution of the vision for their product lines. Product Managers must possess business acumen as well as engineering wherewithal in order to be able to strategize, drive and bring their product to market. Product Managers must work extensively with customers while working cross functionally with Product Marketing, Engineering, Sales, Corporate Marketing and Alliance Partners in order to successfully prioritize features and develop the products that our customers need. Job Description The Product Line Manager is responsible for driving VMware’s product strategy and technical directions in the area of the ESX Core Platform to advance the lead established by VMware ESX in reliability, feature-richness, performance and scalability. In this highly technical and challenging position, you will be responsible for a wide range of functionality ranging from low-level kernel infrastructure for resource management and scheduling, right up to the end-user installation and upgrade experience. Success will be measured by internal and external customer satisfaction and partner preference towards working with VMware.
The ESX Core Platform Product Manager is responsible for driving VMware’s product strategy and technical directions in the area of the ESX Core Platform. You will work closely with customers, partners and internal stakeholders to identify and define product requirements and initiatives to advance VMware’s lead in virtualization. You will be an informed and tireless advocate for the customer and will succeed by thinking about the whole product experience. You will be responsible for developing, articulating and championing the business case for investing in these initiatives in a highly competitive internal marketplace of product ideas. In addition to defining product requirements, you will work closely with your engineering counterparts throughout the product execution phases, and will provide leadership on go-to-market and launch efforts.
- At least 6 years prior work experience
- 3+ years in product management, technical marketing or solutions architecture
- 3+ years in software development or engineering management at an enterprise software company ideally in the infrastructure software space
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field with MS or Ph.D. preferred. MBA a plus
- Solid knowledge of OS architecture and internals
- Superb written and verbal communication skills characterized by clarity and brevity
- Dynamic and engaging speaker comfortable in front of audiences of all sizes
- Ability to influence people at all levels across a broad variety of job functions
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills and a natural predisposition toward data-driven decision making. The ideal candidate should nevertheless be able to make reasoned decisions in the face of uncertainty or imperfect data
- Excellent organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of what’s most important
- Ability to prioritize projects and efforts according to business need
- Provide leadership while never forgetting that you’re a team player
- Passionate about technology and have a strong drive to advance the state of IT through virtualization
- Willing to travel to meet customers and partners up to 20% time Location Palo Alto, CA, US Requisition Number 40646BR Note To Applicant: Please disable your pop-up blocker prior to clicking “Apply”
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and...