Magna Seating is an innovative leader in the development and manufacture of high quality complete seating systems, seat structure and mechanism solutions as well as foam & trim products for the global automotive industry. Our capabilities range from market and consumer research, full concept development, design and engineering, testing and validation to world-class manufacturing.
Plans and directs the activities of a product engineering team to design, release, build, test and develop product in accordance with standard operating procedures and the product delivery process. Manages manpower, workload, tools and resources to maximize efficiency and meet program objectives.
- Generally responsible for the technical management of multiple systems. Where assigned to a single system the assignment is typically highly complex due to the introduction of new technology, accelerated development cycles, or integrated product lines.
- Manages the product development process for compliance to government standards, customer requirements and specifications, engineering principles, and company standards.
- Assures high productivity while maintaining reasonable expectations of the engineering team.
- Forecasts direct and indirect engineering costs. Compiles budgets including manpower, material, testing and capital expense. Controls the expenditure of engineering time and funds in accordance with established budgets. Participates in budget review meetings.
- Recruits, coaches and counsels employees for success, conducts performance reviews, develops salary planning proposals and assists employees with career development planning and training.
- Guides engineers in the completion of engineering documentation. Resolves inconsistencies or incompatibilities between internal and external customer requirements.
- Manages timely product releases and engineering changes. Approves design studies and engineering changes. Conducts design issue meetings and critical design review meetings.
- Leads the improvement of internal systems and procedures.
- Oversees communications with the customer and suppliers and within the Company to ensure timely and effective completion of engineering commitments. Removes obstacles to communication as necessary.
- Communicates changes in program direction to the organization (engineering, program management, sales).
- Authorities as detailed in Standard Operating Procedure 8000.
Knowledge and Education
Bachelors degree (or Bachelor’s equivalency) in Engineering or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum 10 years directly related experience in product design, analysis, and testing.
Minimum 2 years supervisory experience and proven ability to lead a project team to meet customer expectations.
Ability to apply and utilize advanced math-based tools, academic, regulatory and engineering principles in the development of automotive components.
Working knowledge of budget planning and conformance.
Competency in CAD and GD&T.
Proficient with statistical methods, i.e. APQP, DFSS.
Strong communication skills: verbal, written, and technical presentations. Ability to manage customer communications.
Demonstrated successful performance with independent problem solving, presentations, leadership and coordinating and completing multiple tasks within and across departments to meet changing deadlines.
Proficient skills utilizing word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer, may require travel.
Through its various subsidiaries and divisions, Magna International makes just about everything needed to put together a motor vehicle....