As a Product Marketing Manager, you will be instrumental in establishing the sales and marketing success of the product by: |
As Product Marketing Manager, you will work closely with customers, analysts, and partners to understand the competitive landscape, customer requirements, and market needs to use as input into the product vision and strategy. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the market to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions for the broader market.
- Assessing market opportunity and competitive landscape
- Meeting and exceeding market demands
- Positioning and creating messaging that achieves market adoption
- Contributing to programs that achieve customer acquisition, retention and upsell/ cross-sell
- Creates superior market positioning
- Collaborating with Marketing Communications, Field Marketing and Sales to attain early and ongoing market success
- Leveraging customer successes
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with a product management counterpart to define market requirements, which serve as input into the product requirements. You will understand the competitive landscape. You will understand market demand to perform pricing analysis and provide pricing recommendations. You will create an initial go-to-market plan as input to corporate field marketing to leverage. You will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering, often working with delivery teams, the sales channel and key customers.
A Product Marketing Manager°s key role is strategic, not tactical. The other organizations will support your strategic efforts; you won°t be supporting their tactical tasks.
The Product Marketing Manager is responsible for gathering market intelligence and successfully launching new products and release into the market including: gathering and evaluating product and customer requirements, defining the product positioning and messaging, and working closely with product management, marketing communications, professional services, sales and customer support to deliver winning products. The Product Marketing Manager serves as the expert for the drivers for use of the product after it is launched in support of ongoing revenue-driving activities. The Product Marketing Manager°s job also includes ensuring that the product supports the company°s overall strategy and goals.
You will work with marketing communications to define the initial go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key messages and benefits, and target customer. You will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering, often working with delivery teams, the sales channel and key customers.
Required Skills, experience and knowledge
- Specifying market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by on going visits to customers and non-customers.
- Developing and implementing a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
- The Product Marketing Manager is expected to:
- Size the addressable market opportunity
- Be an expert on the competitive landscape for the product
- Develop the core messaging and positioning for the product
- Identify prospect, customer, market requirements
- Deliver MRDs with prioritized features and corresponding justification
- Identify opportunities to improve market adoption through promotions, supplemental services offerings including training, etc.
- Work with sales and marketing to understand obstacles to customer adoption along the buying process and contribute to overcoming them
- Write initial content for marketing communications
- Analyze and set pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals
- Solicit beta and pilot customer for early stage products
- Manage customer advisory council
- Work with external third parties to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities
- Actively participate in social media messaging and development of product positioning
- As a key spokesperson representing product direction and strategy with press, analysts, and key customers
- Brief and train the sales force at quarterly sales meetings
- Act as a leader within the company
Highly Desired Skills, experience and knowledge
- Minimum 10 years experience as a Product Marketing or equivalent engineering, marketing and sales
- Demonstrated success defining and launching excellent products
- Over ten years experience in technology industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Technical background, with experience in advanced analytics including data mining, statistics, predictive modeling, optimization
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Must be able to travel 20% of the time
- Examples of an effective document delivered in the past
- Experience working with sales or business development
- Strong background in software product marketing very highly preferred
- Experience with advanced analytics software is a very strong plus – especially R, SAS, SPSS
- Experience in or working closely with Engineering, QA, and Customer Support
- Product marketing, marketing, engineering, pre-sales experience
- High performance analytics working knowledge
- Data warehouse or database experience
- Experience in the analytics area (e.g., analytic tools, methods and process, data warehouse or databases, visualization tools).
- Bachelor°s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or other technical B.S. required
- MBA highly desirable