You will guide a team that is charged with a product line contribution as a business unit. This extends from increasing the profitability of existing products to developing new products for the company. You will build products from existing ideas, and help to develop new ideas based on your industry experience and your contact with customers and prospects. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the market to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions for the broader market.
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with an engineering counterpart to define product release requirements. You will work with marketing communications to define the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customer. You will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering, occasionally working with the sales channel and key customers.
Your key role will be strategic, not tactical. The other organizations will support your strategic efforts; you won't be supporting their tactical tasks.
- Manage the product requirements process; getting input from customers, prospects, partners, Sales people, Engineering, external market trends and competitors in defining a cohesive set of deliverables that are market-driven and can be feasibly delivered by Engineering.
- Produce Market Requirements Definition (MRD), Use-Case documents, and Functional Descriptions for existing and new products. Devise effective processes with Engineering to effectively communicate these requirements throughout the Engineering team.
- Own the Product Launch process, including defining and tracking schedules, creating and managing the Bill of Materials, Product Warranty information, and other product-related deliverables that will create the complete product.
- Work with the Director of Product Strategy and CTO in gathering ideas and prioritizing product features.
- Conduct Customer Councils and other programs to better solicit customer and Partner feedback.
- Participate in weekly Engineering and Support meetings, providing market-driven guidance on bug fixes, patches and other solutions.
- Collaborate with the VP of Product Management & Marketing to create product-specific marketing messages and work with the Corporate Marketing team to produce product data sheets, white papers and other marketing collateral.
- Provide in-depth product and competitive analyses for use in both product strategy and sales / marketing positioning.
- Work with VP of PM & M to define strategic market segments - including vertical and/or horizontal segments.
- Answer product-related questions from the MetricStream Sales, Business Development, Corporate Marketing and external Business Partner organizations.
- Create and deliver presentations, white papers, communiqués, and other Sales Tools.
- Present technical presentations and product demonstrations at customer briefings, industry conferences, Industry analyst briefings and other public-speaking forums.
- Superior communicator who is a strong, out-going leader and builder of consensus.
- Ability to work in an unstructured problem-solving environment and synthesize strategy, plans, and solutions.
- Hands-on technical skills with the inquisitiveness to learn the products, work with them, and determine ways to improve them.
- A work style that emphasizes a disciplined and organized approach to defining products, prioritizing features and activities, and driving execution.
- A desire to be part of a dynamic, growing market segment (on-demand application services) and lead the charge.
- Flexibility and self-motivation - with a problem solver's attitude.
- Able to work independently yet collaborate cross-functionally in a team environment.
- Must be willing to work in Bangalore, India
MetricStream Inc. - 8 months ago